planning on removing rotors to coat them tonight but need some help

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im confident i can get the rotors off the car myself, but my question is, can i pull jsut the 2 front ones off for tonight and coat them? can they both be pulled at the same time or will i cause problemswith the piston in the caliper pushing out?. any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
As long as you don't depress the brake pedal the caliper pistons will stay right where they are. If you do, you'll turn the pistons into projectiles and you'll have a big mess of brake fluid to clean up.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't depress the brake pedal the caliper pistons will stay right where they are. If you do, you'll turn the pistons into projectiles and you'll have a big mess of brake fluid to clean up.

haha thanks kev. if no one hits the brake pedal then i wont even have to bleed the brakes correct?

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
If someone hits the brakes you'll have to do a lot more than bleed them, but yes as long as the system isn't opened you shouldn't need to bleed them.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks man. i locked my doors just in case haha. i got the rotors off, sanded, cleaned and the first coat is on. i went with clear VHT Rotor Paint. we shall see how it works. it makes the rotor shine like a waxed car haha. i actually did the rears tonight. ill drive around a bit tommorow and wear the paint off them and when they are stopping well, then do the fronts

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
You really should suspend the calipers somehow, so that their weight isn't just hanging on the brake line. I usually use a bungy cord and just attach it to the spring to support the weight of the caliper.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they are suspended with zip ties, hanging from a piece of metal in the wheel well. no weight on them whatsoever, thanks though. i cant believe i remembered or thought to do that haha

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would like to see them when you are done. Mine are pretty rusty and I wish I had done this before installing. Well live and learn.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they are shining pretty well rightnow. i jsut took sandpaper to the rusted areas along the outside of the rotor and the inside arounf the ecoated portion. when they were clean i soaked them in brake cleaner to remove dirt, ust, and debris. then i hit them with 2 coats of VHT rotor paint in clear as i didnt want to lose the natural color of the rotors.. ill do the fronts tommorow perhaps

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back