Plug gap on a turbo

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what people are running for a plug gap with 11psi on a turbo.
Buddy of mine who got a turbo installed by a non local shop has been going through hell trying to get his car "right" ever since the install. Finally got it to the point this week where it could be tuned, and it was throwing coil codes. Pulled the plugs... not one single fucking plug had the same gap. Better than that, not any of them were even close to the last one pulled. They ranged from .035 all the way down to .011! Yes, that's right, .011!!! So we certainly couldn't tell from the plugs that were in it where they were supposed to be gapped. Shit, probably coulda gapped them better with a screw driver and a hammer. But I am not surprised after seeing the quality of the install, the tranny basically being fried on the dyno when they were trying to tune it, and the motor blowing shortly after.

Anyway, we replaced the plugs since you can't "ungap" them and set the new ones at .032. No more P00352 codes! And, finally got someone to tune it who knows what they are doing instead of claiming they know what they are doing... car is a beast. Will blow the tires off of it at a 30mph roll ( and that's with Nitto DRs! ).

So is .032 good for an 11psi car? Should we tighten em up any, or did we gap them too much? I am not real familiar with turbo setups. Didn't know if we should treat it the same way as a SC car or not.

Redfire

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
.32 should be fine at that boost level. I ran .32 up to 13lbs and tightened them up to .28 from when I went to a higher without any spark problems.

06GT_Vert

Still Stock
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run .028 - so far so good.....

PM me Doc, Who tuned it?

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are asking who tuned it this week?, it was Manny at HPP. You know me man. I wouldn't let ANYONE else tune a car I am associated with if I have anything to do with it.

He took it to Jugheads..uh.. I mean Gearheads a few weeks ago and they tuned "at it" but still wasn't close to being right.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are asking who tuned it this week?, it was Manny at HPP. You know me man. I wouldn't let ANYONE else tune a car I am associated with if I have anything to do with it.

He took it to Jugheads..uh.. I mean Gearheads a few weeks ago and they tuned "at it" but still wasn't close to being right.

.032 should be fine. Brent at Brenspeed told me to set mine at .035 with the 11psi tune. I guess there are two different jugheads shops. I got my turbo from "jugheads" in Gilbert Arizona. Was supposed to be brand new but turned out the be used. Never did get all the parts from him. :furious:I did find that he had mounted the waste gate backwards, so I am sure he blew up what ever motor he had mounted it on. :roflmao: Serves the fucker right.

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
What size Turbo? I had problems with mine at 10 psi's with .32 gap. I was blowing out the spark at higher RPMs, We closed the gap to .25 and I have gone as high as 17 with no problems. My set up runs a 76mmbb.

Pete

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What size Turbo? I had problems with mine at 10 psi's with .32 gap. I was blowing out the spark at higher RPMs, We closed the gap to .25 and I have gone as high as 17 with no problems. My set up runs a 76mmbb.

Pete

This guy is running a T67.

Wish his lazy ass would log in and post. Not like he isn't a member and doesn't lurk.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
. I guess there are two different jugheads shops. I got my turbo from "jugheads" in Gilbert Arizona.

The "jugheads" I was referring to is Gearheads in Arlington Tx.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The "jugheads" I was referring to is Gearheads in Arlington Tx.

Yea, I realized that. I just thought that it was funny that there are two different shops with the same name and apparently neither is worth a hoot. I have never done any business with the one in Arlington but based on what you have said, they are pretty much alike.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea, I realized that. I just thought that it was funny that there are two different shops with the same name and apparently neither is worth a hoot. I have never done any business with the one in Arlington but based on what you have said, they are pretty much alike.

Don't take what I said the wrong way. Travis & Co. over at Gearheads do some fine work and make some fast cars. And they are in no way the hack shop that did the install or the hack shop that did the original tune on the car. They did 10 times the job tuning it than the place that originally did it. He just didn't get it "right".

Only reason I called them Jugheads is because it is a local thing. You have two crowds up here. The HPP crowd and the Gearhead crowd. I am part of the HPP crowd.

Mustangfreak

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

This is the first bad thing I've heard about Gearheads. A lot of people on DFWS are fans of them.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is the first bad thing I've heard about Gearheads. A lot of people on DFWS are fans of them.

Like I said (and you being local I am sure you understand) it's a local thing.
It's not that they did a bad job, it just wasn't right. It ran fine at idle and at WOT. Anything between the two he was unhappy with. Manny retuned it and it is a night and day difference now from what the owner says. Plus it has a significant amount more power and torque.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't take what I said the wrong way. Travis & Co. over at Gearheads do some fine work and make some fast cars. And they are in no way the hack shop that did the install or the hack shop that did the original tune on the car. They did 10 times the job tuning it than the place that originally did it. He just didn't get it "right".

Only reason I called them Jugheads is because it is a local thing. You have two crowds up here. The HPP crowd and the Gearhead crowd. I am part of the HPP crowd.

Gotcha, my bad. I thought that you were saying that Gearheads in Arlington were the ones that did the hack job on the car. I have heard a lot of good about Manny. Too bad it would be about an 8 hour drive for me to get there.

gloryboy

Reaction score
running 10.5 lbs on my saleen............i started off with .028 and started getting a code to do with resistance across the spark plug or something.........backed the gap to .032 and no more code.......

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am part of the HPP crowd.

+1 on that one. Me too!:allhail:

After making my physical gas pedal adjustment with the set screw, Manny was able to remove all of the dead spot in my tune. Now if you hit that go pedal it will come outta the box squalling like a wildcat with a sore ass. Hell, I crossed it up not trying to the other day! Looooovvvvvveeeeee it!!:clap:

WRT the plug gap, 0.028 to 0.030 should do the trick. I do know 4-6psi will blow the spark out at a gap of 0.050 (stock).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now if you hit that go pedal it will come outta the box squalling like a wildcat with a sore ass.

I'm not going to ask a hillbilly such as yourself how you know of this comparison

Get your door fixed yet? Talked to Raymond (via email) the other day. Fool sold his car.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back