Positive Battery Cable Harness Short

Reaction score
Long story short, I'm blowing fuses for seemingly no reason. All of the fuses that have been blowing are for wires I've run myself, which draw power from the positive post on the fuse box under the hood.

The fuse that comes from the dual 500 fuel pump harness, installed 3-ish years ago, started blowing a few days ago, only when under boost for a decent period, say stepping on it through second gear. I've been through the harness and replaced both FPDMs, no fix there. I did mitigate the probelm by increasing the fuse size (from 20 amps to 30 amps), but that's only a temporary fix as far as I'm concerned.

The fuse that goes to the heat exchanger fans, installed a week ago, started blowing last night as soon as I turn the fans on. No short or pinched wire to the fans, and the fans run when hot wired to a battery.

The fuse that goes to the heat exchanger water pump, also installed a week ago, hasn't had any issues.

After chasing gremlins all over the place last night, I had the cable from the battery to the under hood fuse box removed from the fuse box. In the correct position the end of the cable had continuity to both the positive battery terminal and the ground on the shock tower. Not good.

My first thought is to replace the entire battery cable harness, since you'd nearly have to remove the whole thing to inspect it anyways. I need a no b.s. fix quickly, as I'm leaving for Drag Week in about 3 days. Is there anywhere else to look for the cause of this, maybe something weird with the starter?

nfrizell

Reaction score
I would start checking amp draw of specific components in the system. What would worry me is that every watt that is not doing work is making heat. Not good in a fuel system.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I would start checking amp draw of specific components in the system. What would worry me is that every watt that is not doing work is making heat. Not good in a fuel system.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

My thought is that there is a chafed wire somewhere that becomes a concern under load. Obviously the engine and drivetrain shifts at that time.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back