Powerhouse Turbo smoking on startup

1wldpny

Reaction score
Car smokes only when you start the car when it's sat overnight. It takes about 10min for it to start smoking. After about 5min it stops smoking, and repeats the same process everytime I start it up when it's sat overnight. I am going to try and neck down the oil supply line with some nitrous jets to see if that works. Has anyone else had this problem with the powerhouse kit? My return line looks fine and was the one that came with the kit so I don't think it's that. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
Car smokes only when you start the car when it's sat overnight. It takes about 10min for it to start smoking. After about 5min it stops smoking, and repeats the same process everytime I start it up when it's sat overnight. I am going to try and neck down the oil supply line with some nitrous jets to see if that works. Has anyone else had this problem with the powerhouse kit? My return line looks fine and was the one that came with the kit so I don't think it's that. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

my brother had same problem on his GT for about a day, he took the car to shop paid them to fix it, he is in basic training so when he gets a chance to call me i'll ask him what they fixed or did, I do know whatever the problem was it cost him 30 bucks to fix.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Mine did somewhat of a same thing. Except mine was getting oil past the seal. I put in a .050 nitrous jet right before the filter in the oil feed line and works fine now. No more smoking. I wouldnt go any smaller than a .050 though.

1wldpny

Reaction score
The fitting that was in mine was a .120 I put in a .94 to see if that helps. If that doesn't work I was going to go to a .78 and then maybe a .65. I just don't want to smoke the turbo. Do you guys think I will need to get the seal fixed in the turbo? Or will it just stop leaking when I get the oil line necked down.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^^ great advice - that will do the trick.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
You guys that are smoking, are these track cars or how hard have you been running the turbo. I'm about to buy the PH kit and I was on the phone asking one of Mike’s installers about it the other day and he was saying that it was generally on turbos that were run hard at the track and such. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If it’s going to be a problem to start with I want to plan accordingly.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You guys that are smoking, are these track cars or how hard have you been running the turbo. I'm about to buy the PH kit and I was on the phone asking one of Mike’s installers about it the other day and he was saying that it was generally on turbos that were run hard at the track and such. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If it’s going to be a problem to start with I want to plan accordingly.

My powerhouse turbo kit smoked as well before ever seeing any track time. The smaller restrictor solved it instantly.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
This will be my first build so I'm guessing i can just get one from one of the NO2 dealers and it goes in the oil feed line somewhere:question:

1wldpny

Reaction score
Just get a 90 degree 1/8 pipe to -3 nitrous jet. You can get them from nitrous supply in CA. Thats where I got mine.

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score

Why not call Mike Bowen and ask him about it?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They have the .065 for the journal bearing and an .035 for the BB turbos. I had to go down to the .035 on mine to stop the smoking.

Earl

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
The ATP setup looks easy enough. If its good enough for SD I'm down to try it. You all think I should just not even worry about trying it w/o and go straight to using it?

Reaction score
We have found that SOME of the cars smoke a bit and some do not, It really comes down to a few things: The Oil Pump, Bearing Clearances on the rod and main bearings as well as the oil weight that was chosen.
If the motor is tight or a high volume/pressure pump is being used the oil pressures will be high, in turn causing it to puff. There is a restricter machined directly in the the filter adapter plate which works very well with a stock engine, But may not be enough of a restriction when using aftermarket pumps/ gears......

To say that one size restricter will do is not accurate, it really depends on the head pressure, so some trial and error will need to take place when coupled with certain engine combinations.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Mike. I'm still on a stock engine entirely! I use Mobile 1 5w20 fully syn.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back