Problems - Help?

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

Been having a lot of trouble with the car lately.

Other day was driving along, nothing unusual. It was at night so I had the lights on, next thing I know all the dash lights went out and completely lost power. Pulled over and tried to restart, restarted no problems but when I went to put my turn signals or lights on, car died. Tried to restart again, and it was dead. Tried to plug my tuner in to see if there was any codes and it would not recognize the vehicle. Got towed home, assuming it was the alternator

Took it to a shop, they diagnosed an alternator problem and replaced the alt. Car would now start and idle, but as soon as you put on the lights/fan/turn signals, it dies immediately.

Tried to drive it around the corner to see if it would drive right, and after about 2 mins of driving, the dash lights were going crazy, rpms kept spiking and would start to stall out when I would come to a stop. Parked it and tried to reload the tune and see if that made any difference, which it didnt. Put the stock intake on, loaded the stock tune and disconnected the battery for a while. Still no luck

Any ideas? Ecu? Engine grounds? Really po'd since this is my daily driver. Battery and starter were replaced about a year ago

Took a quick video:
http://s747.photobucket.com/albums/xx119/alec231236/?action=view&current=IMG_0093.mp4
alec231236

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Car out in all the rain of late?

If so check pass side footwell for dampness and the SJB.

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
It has been, but I've been pretty religious about cleaning out the grommets along the firewall. No water has gotten in for the last couple years. This has pretty much popped up out of the blue, car has been running great as of late. There goes my vortech fund again
ZH8EY.gif

06slow6

Reaction score
yo man i got a sjb sitting in my garage from when i thought mine was bad. from what i know it works, if you wanna grab it or whatever thats cool im not too far from the phillystangs meets

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Still sounds like a possible alternator issue.
And check the battery cables, make sure they are clean and on tight; it's possible they were left loose.

06slow6

Reaction score
Still sounds like a possible alternator issue.
And check the battery cables, make sure they are clean and on tight; it's possible they were left loose.

when my car was doing that i replaced the alt, and sjb and it turned out being the pcm but who knows it could just be something stupid with his car

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yup could be the pcm as well, although the common failures are charging system related. I too have run across a defective pcm, usually with one or two particular circuits or functions though and not the entire thing. But, it's a definite possibility.
(If you need a PCM for 05/06,manual or auto, I have some.)

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
So I tried cleaning the engine grounds, cleaning the battery terminals, flashing back to stock, disconnecting the battery for an hour and still no luck. Starts and idles fine, but as soon as you put the turn signals or lights on it immediately shuts off. Drives fine at first, but after a few miles the rpms start to spike and a plethora of dash lights flash. Checked the connections for the ECU and SJB and they all looked clean

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Was there any wetness near the SJB, or signs of water on passenger front floor?
Could be water in the sjb, common issue (search on it and you'll find lots of hits).

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Car out in all the rain of late?

If so check pass side footwell for dampness and the SJB.

It has been, but I've been pretty religious about cleaning out the grommets along the firewall. No water has gotten in for the last couple years. This has pretty much popped up out of the blue, car has been running great as of late.

:thumb:

Was there any wetness near the SJB, or signs of water on passenger front floor?
Could be water in the sjb, common issue (search on it and you'll find lots of hits).

:beerdrink:

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so finally got the car back and running well. Turned out a bunch of the wiring harness got melted/fried which caused some shorts. Ripped that out and replaced it and replaced the alternator and the car is running great. $900 down the drain so bye bye daily driver fund, again

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Crap. Mine kind of started doing the same thing yesterday. I put in a PA Performance alternator yesterday morning. Took it for a drive later in the day and it stalled on me twice. I had to turn the air conditioning and stereo off in order to get it started again. No engine codes or anything. I was getting the P0340 code with the old alternator. Sure hope it's not a wiring harness. Don't have that kind of money right now.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
There's a fusable link in the harness that runs from the alternator to battery.
That is supposed to blow if the alternator shorts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back