Problems with remote key

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Lately I’m having to get very close to my car (2013 GT) before the remote unlock from the key fob works. It also seems to take 4 or 5 presses at close range for the trunk to pop as well. Sometimes, even standing right next to the car, it won’t unlock pressing the unlock button and I have to manually open it with the key in the door lock. Later on it’ll work normally again (still very short range though). I’ve just noticed this the last few months.
I’ve replaced the battery in the remote to no effect. It’s the same with the other key which still has the 10 year old battery in it.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
If, new batteries don't do the trick you might want to see if the key fobs have lost their programing. A key shop that deals with programming keys should be able to help. I went through something similar, went to key shop and he plugged his laptop into a connection under the dash. Reprogrammed my key and no further issues.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Just to follow up. There was nothing wrong with the programming in the key but after fitting a second new battery, everything seems to be working properly again. It seems the first replacement battery was no good, right out of the sealed bubble pack!

Reaction score
My buttons went bad on my fob years ago. I programmed these to replace them. 2 for $10 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W8MTB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

61EsB081rOS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Something to remember with keys. There are contact points inside. You have pressed the buttons on that key fob probably thousands of times. Contacts wear ore become fragile and don't work properly over time. Having a new battery in and now it works better......Maybe when you installed the battery the contacts were touched again.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Something to remember with keys. There are contact points inside. You have pressed the buttons on that key fob probably thousands of times. Contacts wear ore become fragile and don't work properly over time. Having a new battery in and now it works better......Maybe when you installed the battery the contacts were touched again.

Maybe, but the first new battery showed low voltage, less than one volt, when I tested it with my meter. Based on that, I’m pretty sure this was the issue. I always wipe the battery and contacts with alcohol when installing them. Thanks for the reply!

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
That's much less expensive. Luckly, you discovered the bad battery before going to a locksmith for a re-programming attempt.

Like your idea to clean contacts and batteries with alcohol I hadn't thought of that one.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I recently had both key fobs for my 2012 Edge Sport go wonky (at the same time!)
The rear gate would randomly open, it would lock, unlock, etc when the key was in my pocket. At first I thought the sensor in the vehicle was bad because both fobs started acting up. I removed the batteries and used the door keypad to lock/unlock.
As I looked for replacements I saw one for -$10 instead of the $35-$40 the others were. It turns out it was the shell only with new metallic discs on the buttons. (I noticed that these were slipping off the internal button and contacting the circuit board).
I was able to place my existing circuit board into the new front case and use the OEM back case (to keep my Ford logo) and, bingo! Problem solved.
I will order another one for the second fob today.
873a6f19e5ee9bab02cbd179a6e32278.jpg

8796035b0705e22fdf49aa66a43d6e01.jpg

246021234224d98f81050b37967722fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
That's much less expensive. Luckly, you discovered the bad battery before going to a locksmith for a re-programming attempt.

Like your idea to clean contacts and batteries with alcohol I hadn't thought of that one.

I didn’t think it was a key programming problem because when it worked all the functions were there, just had to be practically standing on top of the car though.

This is the second time in recent months that I’ve gotten a bad battery brand new out of the package. The last one was a AA energizer battery. It sure throws your trouble shooting for a loop because it’s natural to dismiss a battery problem when you’ve just installed a fresh one!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back