QA1 Coilover Clunk

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
Since I put these coilovers on the front i have had clunking noises near the strut tower it seems. I have had them at softer then recommended settings for the street and I also firmed them up a good amount and still have this clunking noises over bumps. Is this a characteristic of these? Sounds like a bundle of wood broke loose. I have a ratcheting sound out of the passenger side near the strut tower. I cant tell with the exhaust if there is clunking on the passenger side but being closer to the driver side obviously I can here it there. Those with the front coilovers have they made alot of noise on you? Looking for some input!!

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
everything rides great though that i can tell. performs fine

my shit sounds cheap going down the street but i think i just need to get used to it

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
same noise i get from mines in the rear.send them back to them.i cant even imagine driving my car with all 4 corners sounding like that.mines have gotten quieter since i install them but the noise is still there.

Zacharyx

forum member
Reaction score
I have them on my 2v the springs would hit the strut tower, last time I had them off I put a few short pieces of fuel line over the coils on the side of they hit and they are dead quite now. Look at them and see if they have wear marks on them if you so you have the same issue

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
By chance did the entire top come off of it??

mine blew out, at the start of the threaded portion in the center is where it blew out where you no longer see the center shaft of the strut. the front started bouncing all over the place and fubar'ed my bump stop.. made a good mess of the wheel liner.

so now im fucked and need another coilover.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
I have yet to have a positive QA1 review regarding there products..thats how bad my luck has been lately. I thought they were doing fine but i guess not.

Well it was an expensive weekend, thats all i got to say. new one is ordered.

Zacharyx

forum member
Reaction score
the top of the threaded portion just popped off mine ( I am assuming I bottomed it out to hard) I have had no other issues since, but have been wanting to swap to th enewer versions since they are actually different body lengths and not just changes to the mounting points

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
the top of the threaded portion just popped off mine ( I am assuming I bottomed it out to hard) I have had no other issues since, but have been wanting to swap to th enewer versions since they are actually different body lengths and not just changes to the mounting points

these are the new aluminum body version that are giving me a problems

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what happened to the one I bought. I bought a set from someone at the track and it was the newer sets, (aluminum color , Not black.) I sent it back to QA1 over a month ago and they said they will fix it under warranty, but I have yet to recieve it. I called them 2 weeks ago and they said it will be fixed ASAP and sent back. Still nothing yet. Ive been talking to a guy named Marshall there. Im going to call him tomorrow and ask him about it, im going to mention how this issue has arrived a lot lately. Im really debating on selling these when I get it back. They are practically brand new. If I do keep them, ill be getting higher spring weights. I think 225lb will be good for it. That could be part of the problem, with 175lb springs on them, they could bottom out very easy.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
That is exactly what happened to the one I bought. I bought a set from someone at the track and it was the newer sets, (aluminum color , Not black.) I sent it back to QA1 over a month ago and they said they will fix it under warranty, but I have yet to recieve it. I called them 2 weeks ago and they said it will be fixed ASAP and sent back. Still nothing yet. Ive been talking to a guy named Marshall there. Im going to call him tomorrow and ask him about it, im going to mention how this issue has arrived a lot lately. Im really debating on selling these when I get it back. They are practically brand new. If I do keep them, ill be getting higher spring weights. I think 225lb will be good for it. That could be part of the problem, with 175lb springs on them, they could bottom out very easy.

i have the 225lb springs already also, the spring is supporting the body's weight up front no problem as far as my condition goes and i have bump stops in there. Ordered new stops tonight as well, the ones i got look all fucked up. hopefully it was only a fluke with this coilover and hopefully the next one doesnt give me any problems

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got my shock back from qa1 yesterday. Ill let u know how it goes this weekend when i install it. They sent me a brand new one back.

Did qa1 cover urs under warranty? They did mine and no questions asked.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
I got my shock back from qa1 yesterday. Ill let u know how it goes this weekend when i install it. They sent me a brand new one back.

Did qa1 cover urs under warranty? They did mine and no questions asked.

yeah i should be getting it this friday or saturday. before i send the damaged one back to them i will take a pic of it and post it up to show you the damage.

2011 has not been a good year with this car so far.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
well i was able to get the new coilovers assembled and installed yesterday, didnt get the chance to put the tires on the car. was running out of light, was getting late and was beat. Today was shit due to raining ALLLLLLLL day. Tommorow is supposed to be nice and sunny, i can get the tires on and put the car on the ground and take it for a spin. I will also update you guys with pics of the shit ass coilover that is in three peices right now. FUCK MY LIFE!

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well i was able to get the new coilovers assembled and installed yesterday, didnt get the chance to put the tires on the car. was running out of light, was getting late and was beat. Today was shit due to raining ALLLLLLLL day. Tommorow is supposed to be nice and sunny, i can get the tires on and put the car on the ground and take it for a spin. I will also update you guys with pics of the shit ass coilover that is in three peices right now. FUCK MY LIFE!

Thats too funny. Our cars are sitting very similiar. My car has the drivers side strut off and when I started putting the QA1 together it started raining. So it sits with no coilover in it till tomorrow. LOL

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back