question about fuse box in the engine bay

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm at the tail end of installing a nitrous outlet plate kit with bottle heater, purge and NOS window switch. The arming switch & bottle heater switch need to be connected to a "key'd 12V source". I have them routed to my engine bay because I figured I could connect them to the positive terminal of the battery. But that's not really a key'd source since the battery is always on (so to speak).

One of the guys at Nitrous outlet told me they usually hook those up to the fuse box but didn't explain in any detail what that meant. I was looking at the fuse box in the engine bay near the passenger side headlight and noticed a harness assembly connects to the front of it with an O ring type connection and a bolt holding it down.

Is this a key'd 12 V source? Or should I stick with hooking them up to the positive terminal on the battery?

Thanks.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
That o ring with bolt is always on, since its directly connected to battery.

To have key on you need a fuse/wire that's only powered when car runs.

There's a lot of sources, I use mainly the fuse panel inside the car with add a fuse

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
That o ring with bolt is always on, since its directly connected to battery.

To have key on you need a fuse/wire that's only powered when car runs.

There's a lot of sources, I use mainly the fuse panel inside the car with add a fuse

That sucks. I thought I had an easy solution since the cables I ran from the switches to the engine bay can reach that fuse box and I put O-rings on the ends.

Could I still hook these up to the battery directly? I know it's not keyed but if the switches are off then the circuit isn't allowing power to get beyond that point anyway.

I'm just not sure how to go about wiring these to the fuse box in the car or even what "add a fuse" means.

wabirch

Bill
Reaction score
Pretty sure you'll find a switched circuit within the SJB. How many amps do you pull with this?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back