Question about gears.....

S

S197Mach1

I am about to start the upgrade process on my Mustang. I plan to hit at least eight races at FFW next season in the Ultra Stang class. The car will NOT be getting a supercharger of any kind. I want to keep it N/A. I am looking at doing a C&L Racer intake, CMCP deletes, either Kooks or American Racing long tubes and exhaust, GT500 T/B, TCI converter, PA deep pan with dipstick, BMR tubular front end w/sway bar delete, BMR subframe connectors, BMR rear suspension package, AND..........a 4.10 gear. Why not a 4.30 gear you ask?

That's the deal. I need to drive the car to each race, run the car, drive it home. I know, I know, lots of miles on the car....why not just buy a truck/trailer.....etc, etc. Finances right now just do not allow me to buy a truck and trailer. Kids in college, house note, child support, blah blah.

Will the car be fine driving that many miles with a 4.10 gear or do I really need to rethink my plans? I have done the math on the rpm's and it does not seem too bad. Mileage may or may not suffer but if it does I don't see much more than 1 or 2 mpg difference at 70-75 miles per hour.

Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

freebass55

Public enemy #75461659
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine with the 4.10's. I drive to work everyday, and plan on taking the drive to Vegas in December. At 70-75 mph, I noticed the RPM's are kinda high. But nothing to worry about. MPG doesn't really become a large problem until you start running it hard in the 80+ range. That's what I noticed.

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just got back from 6-8hour roadtrip.... cruised at 80mph most of the way...was above 20mpg and the RPMs werent a problem...my car is a daily driver and havent had any issues.

UrS4

forum member
Reaction score
4.10s in a manual are fine, on the highway the lowest I gotwhile cruising was 23. But since the tune, UDPs, and alum DS I am back in the mid 25s. The best I ever got stock was 27 but that was at 65mph not 75mph.

I don't know what mpg loses you will see with an auto.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am about to start the upgrade process on my Mustang. I plan to hit at least eight races at FFW next season in the Ultra Stang class. The car will NOT be getting a supercharger of any kind. I want to keep it N/A. I am looking at doing a C&L Racer intake, CMCP deletes, either Kooks or American Racing long tubes and exhaust, GT500 T/B, TCI converter, PA deep pan with dipstick, BMR tubular front end w/sway bar delete, BMR subframe connectors, BMR rear suspension package, AND..........a 4.10 gear. Why not a 4.30 gear you ask?

That's the deal. I need to drive the car to each race, run the car, drive it home. I know, I know, lots of miles on the car....why not just buy a truck/trailer.....etc, etc. Finances right now just do not allow me to buy a truck and trailer. Kids in college, house note, child support, blah blah.

Will the car be fine driving that many miles with a 4.10 gear or do I really need to rethink my plans? I have done the math on the rpm's and it does not seem too bad. Mileage may or may not suffer but if it does I don't see much more than 1 or 2 mpg difference at 70-75 miles per hour.

Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

Just so you know, a 4.10 in a 5 speed manual is the same as a having 3.73 in a 5 speed automatic. This is because:

5th gear in a manual is 0.69:1

5th gear in an automatic is 0.75:1

Some of these guys quoting you revs may not have an automatic!

I tach 2000 @ 60 and 2600 @ 80 with my automatic, but then again, I don't race my car...yet.

Mike

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have over 69K miles on my car, with about 40K of that with 4.10's. I also have a TCI 3300 rpm converter---but I also have a taller tire then most (28 tall).

I have driven mine everywhere--including Vegas twice from Los Angeles, absolutely no problems what-so-ever. Go for it.

S

S197Mach1

You will change your mind if you drive one that has it and is tuned properly! Trust me!:clap:

Mike
Actually, I have driven a few S197 cars with Saleen, KB, and ProCharger superchargers. Very impressed with the power and driveability each offered. My fear is that I will be somewhere at a race and flush the rods out of the engine. :thud: Yes, still the stock engine for a while longer.

Using the Mustang Calculator I received from a member on this board, I came up with 2650 rpm at 70 mph with the stock diameter tires. Does not sound too bad after all.

Really appreciate all the advice from everyone! Now…..do I put the 4.10’s in there or go with 3.73’s in anticipation of a supercharger?!?!?!?!? LOL!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just take O/D off and you will have about the same cruise RPM as you will with 4.10 gears. You will be able to see if you want to cruise at that level. I have 3.73’s in mine and 75 mph is 2500 rpm with a 27 inch tire, which is very comfortable.

Earl

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On a side note Swaybar delete is not permitted in Ultra Stang.
The GT500 TB will give no additional gains on a N/A car.

The problem for drag racing is that you will not be using all of 4th with a 3.73.
4.10 with a 26" Drag Radial or 4.30 with a 28" Drag Dadial.

Rule #1 about any kind of racing is that there is no guarantee you will not break your car and be able to drive it home just because it's N/A.

I've seen broken axles, gears , driveshafts and even transmissions on lightly modded cars.

Mine is S/C'd and I have gone to 6 events so far that were 300 miles+.
Granted there are no guarantees but proper tuning and prep is the key.

Last edited:
S

S197Mach1

On a side note Swaybar delete is not permitted in Ultra Stang.
It will be in '08. Check the FFW board and George Klass. Complete tubular front end (not just the k-member), fuel cell, and slicks will be legal next season.

07SHELBY GT

I've been thinking about 4:10 gears in my Shelby GT,From the RPM reports I'm seeing with a 5 speed,I drove mine on the interstate today in 4th,Seems like about the same result,Noise and mileage wise!Can't wait to do it,Even with my Brenspeed tune,Factory installed FRPP CAI,And 3:55s,The car seems a little pokey and I'm thinking that 4:10s would really wake this 281 motor up!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back