question about long tube headers with no tune

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
I just got in long tube headers,x pipe, and throttle body a little earlier than expected. I have tune arriving in about 5 days. my question is: will it be fine to install those parts and drive without proper tune? if its not fine, what might happen? Thanks guys.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you do not run it without a tune. The car could run lean and you could get some detonation. Be patient it's only 5 days

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
ugh,but track season starts saturday! wahhh! :( lol,thats what i was thinking too but had never messed with long tubes.

dlrs14

forum member
Reaction score
^^agreed, if you did try to run it, it will go in "safe mode" (cant remember the correct term) in which the car runs like crap and cant get over 2.5k RPM... I learned the hard way installed the long tubes and x-pipe and had to drive the car to my tuner... oh well lesson learned

07 s197

forum member
Reaction score
When i first got my car, my first mods were mac LTs and o/r prochamber. I drove around for about 2 months before finally buying a intake/tuner package. Naturally i got the CEL for the rear 02's because of no cats. The car ran fine other than that

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
Just to let you know I dont think it will be lean at all, period.
My tuner told me you dont need to tune for L/T headers unless you get a rear O2 sensor heating issue.(P0155?)
I didnt listen to him though. (Brent White of Brenspeed)
I previously had an A/F ratio of 11.5 at WOT with stock exhaust manifolds and H-pipe.
I then installed Kooks 1 3/4" Dia. long tube headers and Kooks Hi-Flo catted X-pipe.
After installation I drove 220 miles to Brenspeed without any CEL. When he checked the A/F ratio on the first run it was still 11.5 WOT without any tune changes and at no point in any RPM range was it lean. Brent just made some minor changes to the tune then.
You will be fine to drive it until you check the tune.... the only CEL will be for the front O2 sensors if they are further away from the cylinders, and slower to heat.

Last edited:

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
I would just install the long tubes and x pipe for now since they are time consuming. Shouldn't hurt anything. You will possibly get a CEL for slow o2 response and lack of cats (if o/r).

When I purchased my longtubes from brenspeed they said I didn't need an updated tune for them UNLESS I have issue with the o2's not getting up to temp quick enough. I did end up getting slow response codes and they sent me updated tune tweaking the o2 parameters. Car ran fine the whole time.

Then just pop the TB on when you get the tune. Only takes a few minutes.

You will be alright IMO.

jp's performance

shooting for 11.60's N/A
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got in long tube headers,x pipe, and throttle body a little earlier than expected. I have tune arriving in about 5 days. my question is: will it be fine to install those parts and drive without proper tune? if its not fine, what might happen? Thanks guys.
until the tune you will get po135 code or 1 of those.i did but every car is not the same.what brand header.

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
In called my tuner after my Kooks LT and cat'd x pipe install. He said a tune is necessary to get the most out of the mod, but no damage will occur until I update the tune. Been driving this way for a few weeks and no issues. Still waiting for my JDM tune. If you went with an OR x-pipe, your going to have issues until you have the sensors for those cats turned off.

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
until the tune you will get po135 code or 1 of those.i did but every car is not the same.what brand header.

Kooks lt headers

Thanks for the responses.makes more comfy knowing.ill just start installing the headers( not looking forward to it) and x pipe. if i do get any codes or issues, ill just drive my piece-o-crap truck till the tune gets here. :)

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I've been running the Kooks long tubes without a header specific tune for about two weeks. I currently have the Steeda CAI tune. No check engine light yet. On the dyno today my A/F ratio was perfect from 3500 RPM to 6500 RPM. I'm not sure how the car would be with the stock tune though.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
I've got Kooks and never got a tune for them either and car is perfect. I also just installed a monoblade throttle body with no tune and have no problems.

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Kooks lt headers

Thanks for the responses.makes more comfy knowing.ill just start installing the headers( not looking forward to it) and x pipe. if i do get any codes or issues, ill just drive my piece-o-crap truck till the tune gets here. :)
The install really isn't that difficult. Just time consuming more than anything.

I've also heard its ok to drive untuned.

UrbanRedneck

Reaction score
Just to let you know I dont think it will be lean at all, period.
My tuner told me you dont need to tune for L/T headers unless you get a rear O2 sensor heating issue.(P0155?)
I didnt listen to him though. (Brent White of Brenspeed)
I previously had an A/F ratio of 11.5 at WOT with stock exhaust manifolds and H-pipe.
I then installed Kooks 1 3/4" Dia. long tube headers and Kooks Hi-Flo catted X-pipe.
After installation I drove 220 miles to Brenspeed without any CEL. When he checked the A/F ratio on the first run it was still 11.5 WOT without any tune changes and at no point in any RPM range was it lean. Brent just made some minor changes to the tune then.
You will be fine to drive it until you check the tune.... the only CEL will be for the front O2 sensors if they are further away from the cylinders, and slower to heat.

Like he said. I have had my longtubes since last june and never got a tune for them, Brenspeed (who my tune for my cai came from, as well as who the LTs came from) said there is no need unless there is an 02 delay issue. I haven't had any problem.

I don't think the car will even run with the new throttle body without a tune though, if I am not mistaken.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I don't think the car will even run with the new throttle body without a tune though, if I am not mistaken.

I think with the TB you just have to calibrate it properly and you should be able to tune it without any issues.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back