Question about payment for work done...

freebass55

Public enemy #75461659
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Long story...sorry...

I called a garage door co. to come out to my house to fix my garage door and fix my iron gate. They came out and fixed the eye sensors(put new in) and I asked for new remotes, which they gave me. I explained I wanted the seal on the bottom of the door fixed, and the guy said he would have to order parts. The gate needed to be welded because there was a small crack on the top and it was getting stuck on the stopper that is connected to the house. He said he would come back for the welding. I asked if he wanted me to pay him for the work done so far and replied, no.

I made another appointment for the seal, the guy came out and looked at the door and repeated what he said before, about ordering parts. No work was done this time out.

I got a call saying that the company who makes the seal for the garage door went out of business. They said they would try something different to get a seal to work.

Another appointment was made to get the welding done. I had to call three times to see if they were still coming and finally they canceled.

Another appointment was made to get the welding done. After three calls the guy finally showed up to fix the gate. I told him I wanted the stoppers on the gate moved so they wouldn't get stuck. He started to weld. When I came back out he had welded the corner that was cracked, but did not move the stoppers. He just ground them down a bit so it would clear. I told him that is not what I wanted. He cleaned up and left, no payment had been made.The door still gets stuck, especially when it's hot.

I made another appointment for the seal on the door and the welding...again, a no show. Didn't even call to cancel, just didn't show.

I wasn't going to call again, I was finally sick of it. I was going to wait for them to call me. About two weeks after I get a bill in the mail. Stating everything they had done and asking for payment. Two days later I get a call asking for payment. I explained that the work was not finished and the owner said he was sorry for all the problems. The owner then set up an appointment to come out and finish the work.

Today was when the appointment should have been. It was for 5:00, I called them at 5:45 wondering if they were going to show. I talked to one of the girls in the office. Owner called me back said the guy who was supposed to be here, is running late. He said he would come out and finish the job personally. I called him back at 6:30...no answer on his work or his cell phone.

So...what do I do now? I don't want to even bother with them coming back. I am thinking of just paying for everything on the bill but the welding. And calling it a day. Is there a way they could put a lein on my house if I don't pay in full, even though the work wasn't completed? I am wondering what my options are here?

Again, sorry about the long story...

Last edited:

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
nope fuck that you had a "verbal contract " which was not followed and nothing was fixed like it was supposed to be ....if it were me id pay either nothing at all or just pay what their normal " call out fee " is , thats y u never pay in advance lol fuckers like this .....and i know how you feel we have to rebuild and remodel every other year down here lol and believe you me they have no shortage of dipshits

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Call the Better Business Bureau, or your Attorney General.

freebass55

Public enemy #75461659
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Once I get this resolved I'll file with the BBB. Right now I want to find out where I stand and what they could do legally, if I don't pay in full what is on their invoice.

I called again this morning and the owner isn't in yet.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They can put a lien on your house for not paying in full. They have to do that within 90 days of them performing the work or they lose their lien rights. Then they have to perfect that lien within 90 days of filing, which basically means going to court and proving why you owe them the money. If it were me, I would pay them for whatever work they completed to your satisfaction so there is less money in dispute. Less money in dispute means less incentive to go through the needed steps to get a judgement. Some contractors will file a lien to intimidate you into paying, with no intention of perfecting it. But homeowner's freak out when the lien is filed, so they pay. As long as you have no intention of selling or re-financing, you have a strong argument for not paying the entire amount, and can wait out the process, you have nothing to fear. My experience with flake contractors is that they won't usually go through the process.

All of this is with the assumption that they are a licensed contractor. If they are not, all bets are off. You don't have to pay them anything.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back