Question about Wideband A/F

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just installed the AEM Wideband Air / fuel gauge and I am getting erratic readings.
At idle it's 14.5 - 15.2
at WOT 12.8 -13.8
it jumps around alot, is there an ajustment or calibration needed?
the intructions state that the unit comes pre calibrated so not sure what ot think. any ideas?

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
widebands should change constantly.
The only measurement that is important is at WOT though.

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's normal. On some, you can change the sensitivity so it averages out the readings but I like the more direct feedback.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
any ideas on how to use the serial interface connections from the gauge to the laptop using livewire for data logging?

I bought this mainly to capture data for Doug to refine my tune. since I do not have any reliable dyno tuners in my area. Most tuners here are Jap or euro tuners or chevy shops, we have a couple of mustang shops but I never hear anything good about them.

So dougs my man for now even if he is in alabama and I am in virginia.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have AEM Wideband in one car and an SUV. They both behave as you describe and work well in my view. I did have to replace the O2 sensor in one that ran pretty rich WOT for a while (supercharged SUV). I think runnig too rich wrecked the sensor. When it went south it read off the chart 17.2 to "-" . When I changed the O2 sensor it got allright again....

edit* sorry...Yeah on the datalogging. Do you have the analog 9 pin mini din connector cable?

analog 1 is typically RED
analog 2 is typically BLUE

Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I

edit* sorry...Yeah on the datalogging. Do you have the analog 9 pin mini din connector cable?

analog 1 is typically RED
analog 2 is typically BLUE

I built the 9 pin D connector and mounted it next to the ODBII connector under the dash.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I built the 9 pin D connector and mounted it next to the ODBII connector under the dash.

Do you need a .doc on how to do the datalogging?

Attachments

• datalogging.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Darth Stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
any ideas on how to use the serial interface connections from the gauge to the laptop using livewire for data logging?

I bought this mainly to capture data for Doug to refine my tune. since I do not have any reliable dyno tuners in my area. Most tuners here are Jap or euro tuners or chevy shops, we have a couple of mustang shops but I never hear anything good about them.

So dougs my man for now even if he is in alabama and I am in virginia.

Excessive has a dyno and I've not heard a lot of bad about them? They're literally in your backyard, or did they mess up something of yours?

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Excessive has a dyno and I've not heard a lot of bad about them? They're literally in your backyard, or did they mess up something of yours?
yea there less than 10 min from my house.
I have had two Dyno tunes from them and I have been less than satisfied. Chris is a fantastic Mechanic and engine builder and he knows the SVT 4valve engines hands down, but he does not know the S197 automatics.
He installed my gears and they did a fantastic job, I will use them to install my headers or anything else that does not require a tune.
I had a GMS 62mm throttle body installed during my first dyno tune and chris worked on it for hours and finally called me to take it off because he could not tune the car with it. Most people say a good tuner could do it. His tunes are Canned SCT tunes and are very safe. their equiptment is old and the dyno had to be moved because of flooding.

I am not knocking them because they are a top knotch Mustang / Ford Shop for anything else. Chris and Tory are great people and will do anything to help you out. I recommend everyone who needs work to go there. Ask Rygen (member here) when his car went boom, they drove their race car from the track and put his car in their trailer.

I run 13.2 with Excessive Dyno tune
I run 13.0 with Evolutions tunes
I run 12.9 VMP tunes
I run 12.8 with Bamachips
I have tested this several times and the same out come.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back