Question on getting gears?

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I am getting my gears swapped on my manual Gt soon and I am thinking of going with 4.10s. I have 3.55 now. My question is...do I have to have a tuner also when I do the gears. I dont have one yet and eventually want to get one, but I thought since my car is a manual I wouldnt really need one yet. Thoughts??? Also, what install kit is recommended. I am having someone install them, but I am ordering all the parts.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
You don't need a tuner, but you can't correct the speedo without one. It will be off by ~15%.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Don_w. That is what I thought. Someone tried to tell me different and then I started to wonder. Now on the install kit. Some come with everything and some with just a few things. Which one is recommended?

ixtlan

Reaction score
All you need is a kit with shims (Carrier and Pinion), pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut.
Having 2 crush sleeves is nice.
If you want to change your carrier bearings (a bitch) you will need them too.

BudgetPlan1

Reaction score
Thanks Don_w. That is what I thought. Someone tried to tell me different and then I started to wonder. Now on the install kit. Some come with everything and some with just a few things. Which one is recommended?

Basic FRPP install kit M-4210-A Kit includes: pinion and carrier shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, ring gear bolts and cover gasket

FRPP Install kit M-4210-B Includes everything that M-4210-A has and pinion gear and carrier bearings

I went with M-4210-B @ around $80

don_w

Reaction score
Now on the install kit. Some come with everything and some with just a few things. Which one is recommended?
Here is my :2cents: on gears changes. I let the shop provide all parts and labor. It may cost me a few bucks more, but if there are any issues, it is 100% on them to take care of it. They can't blame parts I provided to try and cover installation errors.

Last edited:

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DON'T BUY THE FORD RACING KIT!!!

I just had my gears done and it had to be redone because the Koyo bearings that FRPP uses are crap. The races were all pitted on the replacement kit that I ordered. So I had to go to the dealership and get bearings from them, the dealership bearings are Timkins and they are much better quality

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ditto on what Don said!

Also, you may be able to get the stealership to plug into it and change the gear ratio for you so the speedo is correct.

Hope this helps.

Mike

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones input. I was thinking maybe I should just have the shop provide the parts. One shop I talked to the other day wanted around $900 to swap gears. I think this is a bit steep. Now trying to find a better place, otherwise I know someone that will do them, but he is 3 hours away. Anybody had theirs done at the dealership???? What is everyones opinion on the 4.10s...to much?? I dont think I will supercharge.
Thanks Jeremy

don_w

Reaction score
I think 4.10s are the way to go for sure! I've ran them for 40K miles and 900+ runs at the track, and love them.

As far as gear installs, the going rate here in San Diego seems to be from $650 - $800 (everything included... parts, fluids, tax, labor).

ixtlan

Reaction score
What is all this fear with gear changes?
I did mine and it is not that big a deal.
If you possess the skills to put a motor together then you can do gears.

You need a dial gauge to measure backlash and side to side movement.
A dial type inch pound torque wrench (0 to 30) to measure running torque.
A caliper to measure shim thickness.
A Ft/lb torque wrench 1/2" drive (0 to 120).
A ft lb torque wrench 3/8" drive (0 to 100).
A ft/lb torque wrench 3/4 or 1" drive (Capable of over 200 ft/lbs).
A good nut runner (500 ft/lb or better torque).
A gear puller (bolt type).
A splitter bearing puller for the pinion bearings in case you need to remove and re-shim.
(A press is nice to have for this also but not a requirement.
You can make due with a nice heavy vice in lue of a press.)
A two leg puller (if you want to change your carrier bearings)

If you have the tools and the ability to read and use them then you can do your own just fine.

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
One of the old tricks was to go to the dealership and figure out who the "heavy line mechanic" was. Then all you have to do is ask him about doing it as side work at his (or your) house. He will have all the tools and skills to do it, and probably charge you no more then $300 to do it. The work will be quality and you can even order the gears and kit at his parts counter. Basically there is someone in every town that has a dealership that can do this for you. The caveat is that if he screws it up, you cant go back to his "shop" and stamp your feet because you have a 40mph whine.

Also, heavy line mechanics usually have spare sets of 0 mile 3.73 gear sets laying around as this is standard gearing in several ford cars and trucks.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I have thought about doing it on my own. I will usually try anything once and it usually works out as I think I am pretty stuck on details. I am also thinking I can find a good mechanic that will do it at home. We will see. Thanks for everyones input. You all are way more helpful than I thought my second or third post would ever get me.

Jeremy

ixtlan

Reaction score
I got the Summit Racing kit.

"These Summit ring and pinion installation kits give you everything you need (except axle bearings) to overhaul or install a Ford or GM rear end: differential bearings (cups and cones), front and rear pinion bearings (cups and cones), pinion positioning shims, pinion preload shims or crush collar, a pinion seal, pinion nut, a rear cover or housing gasket, and gear marking compound." (From the site)

Came with Timken Bearings and much cheaper. 72.95
Dont know if they still do come with Timken Though.
Truth be known there are only a few bearing makers in the world.
Most brands are just re-branded.

You also need RTV (High Heat), Anti-Seize, and Loc-Tite, and Oil.
I recommend putting a good quality oil and friction modifier in at first.
(I used Valvoline Gear Oil)
Then after 500 miles dump it, and put a Great Oil in it with modifier.
(I like AMS Oil Severe Gear)
But that choice is yours.
There is a proper break in procedure to do for that 500 miles.
Damn it was hard to not just go see what effect they had, but I bit my lip and did it.

The gasket is like a no need but it comes with all the kits.
I would highly suggest the Ford Racing A gear set though.
Here there is a big advantage using the Ford Racing gear set. It is made for Ford using extremely tight tolerances. The Ford pinion will be marked with a number. Ours for instance is marked -6 (minus 6). This is our pinion bearing shim size.

I did a full step by step writeup on FordMuscle.com but you need to be a paying member to access it. Largest writeup in their history for now.
I sooo wanted to post it here but I cannot.

ixtlan

Reaction score
I got lots of hints and help if you need advice.
Just ask, I am more than willing to answer any questions ya got.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back