Random Exhaust Questions

haydenbjj

Reaction score
i bought the car used where i work, as a dealership trade in. its an 07 GT, 31k miles, 5 speed, procharger, and a bunch of other goodies. Wondering if people can tell me if the exhaust is factory or aftermarket just by description? The car sounds great, but if i can make it sound even better, why not, right?

I only glanced at it last week when changing the oil, but it does have an H pipe in the middle, and the chrome exhaust tips say ford racing on them. i glanced in between the exhaust pipe and the read bumper cut out, and the mufflers are stamped ford racing as well. Is that factory, or is there an aftermarket ford racing exhaust? new to mustangs, sorry. when i have more time, ill record an exhaust clip, and check to see if the cats are in place and maybe snap some more pics if anyone can help out.

20160418_174825.jpg

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Ford Racing Performance Parts aka "FRPP" is like an OEM "aftermarket". They make a few different axle back setups. If you saw the H-pipe you should've seen cats unless it was an o/r h. And if that were the case, it'd be noticeable from the fuel smell and the volume.

haydenbjj

Reaction score
thats good info. thanks kato. i browsed the net for ford racing axle back setups, and none of the mufflers/tips look like what i have, so i still dont know. ill get some more info and pics together i guess.

haydenbjj

Reaction score
Looks like FRPP Stingers, aka Borla stingers.

can you elaborate on this? Because i love Borla exhaust, and that is what i was considering if i ever upgrade.

Are the frpp stingers made by borla? the tips do look Exactly the same as these except embossed "Ford Racing" on the tips: http://www.americanmuscle.com/borla-s-axleback-2005-gt.html?utm_content=Exhaust+-+Axleback%7CBorla&utm_campaign=05-14%20No%20Years&utm_source=Google-pla&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&AMID=borla-s-axleback-2005-gt-FPReplacementV1&T5_Var3=blue&GID=29001

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Seems to me that if it sounds good now, there are more ways to screw it up than make it better. Louder is nearly always possible, but that's not necessarily better.

Norm

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Seems to me that if it sounds good now, there are more ways to screw it up than make it better. Louder is nearly always possible, but that's not necessarily better.

Norm

Truer words...

I thought I'd never get rid of my SLP Loudmouths, but once the O/R X went on, I couldn't swap them fast enough. Definitely the loudest setup, maybe even possible, but definitely not the best sounding.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
can you elaborate on this? Because i love Borla exhaust, and that is what i was considering if i ever upgrade.

Are the frpp stingers made by borla? the tips do look Exactly the same as these except embossed "Ford Racing" on the tips: http://www.americanmuscle.com/borla-s-axleback-2005-gt.html?utm_content=Exhaust+-+Axleback%7CBorla&utm_campaign=05-14%20No%20Years&utm_source=Google-pla&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&AMID=borla-s-axleback-2005-gt-FPReplacementV1&T5_Var3=blue&GID=29001

Yes the FRPP Stingers are made by Borla. They are the same muffler, just with Ford Racing stamped on them.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score

Yes ! The frpp stingers are made for Ford Racing by Borla.. The other difference between them, is the frpp stingers are only available in 409 grade stainless steel that include 304 SS tips.. The Borla "S" type version come in higher grade 304 stainless steel including the body, but are also more expensive..

haydenbjj

Reaction score
finally took a closer look last night. i think they are the FRPP Stingers, will post a couple pics in a few.

haydenbjj

Reaction score
Best shots i could get last night without jacking the car up. Im THRILLED to hear/know they appear to be FRPP Stingers made by Borla. That is great news.

20160420_205924.jpg

20160420_205939.jpg

20160420_210007.jpg

20160420_210044.jpg

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Yes ! The frpp stingers are made for Ford Racing by Borla.. The other difference between them, is the frpp stingers are only available in 409 grade stainless steel that include 304 SS tips.. The Borla "S" type version come in higher grade 304 stainless steel including the body, but are also more expensive..

This. Even the newer S550 ones now say "Ford Racing Exhaust by Borla," in the catalog, or at least they did when they first introduced the exhaust lineup. Even looking at the online pictures, you can tell there is only a stamping difference on the mufflers (aside from the type of steel).

If you like the sound, you probably won't notice too much of a difference between the FRPP and the Borla's of the same level. As stated, the main difference is the grade of steel used. That is one of the things I noticed when deciding between the "FRPP GT500 Mufflers," and the Borla Touring mufflers on the 2012's.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
We all know how it is with some parts. Usually the only difference between an "OEM Aftermarket" item and a directly Aftermarket item is the price.

For example - the "Roush CAI" is actually an Airaid Intake. It's blatantly obvious as they both feature the modular venturi tube and the placement of badging. Naturally, Roush charges a little more since it's their badge on the tube and not Airaid.

22391D94-6C9B-41EC-8855-C75FA2B2961F_zpsrb8vcdyc.jpg

Roush%20CAI_zpsudqn61p8.jpg

Airaid%20CAI%20Parts_zpsn7oflcnh.jpg

Airaid%20CAI_zpsnspvhfa8.jpg

Last edited:

haydenbjj

Reaction score
well, thats perfect. $400-500 i can spend somewhere else lol.

that roush/airaid comparison is BLATANTLY obvious lol.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it, though. Roush (and/or whoever actually makes each individual part) gets a little more return on their investment and FRPP (and all the rest) have a stronger business case for continued existence.

Norm

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it, though. Roush (and/or whoever actually makes each individual part) gets a little more return on their investment and FRPP (and all the rest) have a stronger business case for continued existence.

Norm

Precisely.

haydenbjj

Reaction score
i think that as long as the company is known for making good parts, its totally fine. It's if a company that makes junk rebrands it as another company in an effort to hide who is behind the product that is when there would be an issue.

im just happy i got my "borla" exhaust without spending a penny lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back