removal of exhaust header studs

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
So I need to get these out. I see the end of the stud looks like an allen key. Whats the actual name for a tool thats a inside out allen key? lol.

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
Nevermind didn't pay attention you didn't mean header bolts, you meant collector studs right??

Last edited:

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Double nutting is probably a better solution. You put two nuts tighten one against the other and turn out with the inside nut. You could even do both double nut with a box end wrench and put the 3/16 socket on the end you want to spread the forces out as much as possible. Oh and use PB Blaster on the threads and let it soak it does help.

05bluestang

Resident Riceburner Kille
Reaction score
Double nutting is probably a better solution. You put two nuts tighten one against the other and turn out with the inside nut. You could even do both double nut with a box end wrench and put the 3/16 socket on the end you want to spread the forces out as much as possible. Oh and use PB Blaster on the threads and let it soak it does help.

+3 on that..................

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
i mean the studs on the heads that your exhaust manifold, header would nut onto. double nutting or putting a 6mm on the end i figured. was curious if there was a "right way" or this was it.

So thanks guys. ill get to nutting....

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it's a 5 or 5.5mm socket. I broke three trying to get my studs out before I decided to just use vise grips on the rest since I was using stage 8 bolts.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Used a socket here. I think it was 5.5mm. I kept as many as I could in but didn't have a problem with the ones that had to come out.

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
I use the 5.5 mm or 6mm whatever it is. If that fails I have a snap on stud remover. Crown vice were real bad about them breaking off. I bet I changed 5000 studs when I.was a mechanic!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

refluga

Reaction score
I also just used a small socket on then end and mine came out with very little resistance. Can't remember the socket size but as other have said I'm pretty sure it was 5.5mm.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
ok i dont know if anyone realized the ridiculousness of my question...but an inside out allen key is a standard 6 point hex bolt. what do you take it off with? a friggin socket. like a few above did say. and thats what i did. came right out.

ill go crawl in a hole now.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Used a socket here. I think it was 5.5mm. I kept as many as I could in but didn't have a problem with the ones that had to come out.

Likewise........some of them came out when just trying to take off the stock nuts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back