Removing Starter Need some help

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
How in the world do you get to the top stater mounting bolt? I removed 2 of them and can't even see the 3d one. thanks in advance.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1/4" ratchet and IIRC a small ratcheting box wrench.

It's been a couple of years already.
I didn't have any trouble at all but I remember others complaining.

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
Do I have to remove the battery and tray? I can feel it if I distort the shit out of my hand from under the car... is it easier to go through the top?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I used a 1/4" drive ratchet, flex socket and long extension working from in front of the K-member

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
After I removed the battery and tray I was able to get to it alot easier then under the car spent a good 30 minutes trying to find it under the car and got it out in under 5 from the top.

Thanks for the information! Probably have a lot more questions since tomorrow I pull the tranmission out! Got everything ready to go for tomorrow.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After I removed the battery and tray I was able to get to it alot easier then under the car spent a good 30 minutes trying to find it under the car and got it out in under 5 from the top.

Thanks for the information! Probably have a lot more questions since tomorrow I pull the tranmission out! Got everything ready to go for tomorrow.
The 2 top bolts are going to be tough to get at.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
I had to find a very skinny friend with long arms when I did my long tubes and had to take out the starter and install it LOL>

Embalmer

Amateur Expert
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's kinda funny - S197 guys think the starter bolts are hard to get to, I used to own a MN12 Thunderbird (1997) and the K-member on those cars make it almost impossible to get to the side and top bolts, let alone the bellhousing and motor mount bolts. The S197 chassis is much better thought out.

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score

The whole project is tough! I have no idea what I'm doing but so far so good using the service books to remove the tranny. I only have hand tools and I'm having a problem getting the last bolt on the A-Arm out I'm spent. I got half way through until I removed the access cover but the A-arm seems to be in the way of removing a few of the bolts.. Step # 15 tomorrow then a bunch of easy steps then the hard part...

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
Are you removing it on jackstands?

Sure AM!

All I got left to do is remove the 4 torque converter screws, unplug all the sensors, disconnect the trans tubes, and solanoid connector, and 7 engine to transmission retaining bolts

cross my fingers pray and lower the piece of shit down w/o killing myself! I'll jack side of the car up to get the tranny out from under it shouldn't be impossible may hurt a little but whatever i've lived through worse.

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm calling it a night got the 4 converter bolts out only have a few more things to do before I lower the tranny. Solinoid bolt, unplug all the sensors disconnect the harness undo the bolts on the tranny lines and then the 7 bolts that connect the tranny to the engine and lower her!

Not to bad my first transmission removal ever! Plus never saw anyone remove one before so far so good. Thank god for the internet and pfsracer for his help!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hehe---I did. Got the car as high as I could on all four corners with four jack stands.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Hehe---I did. Got the car as high as I could on all four corners with four jack stands.
I did the same thing only to find out the trans was still to high to get out from under the vehicle once I got it removed. I had to wrestle the trans off/on the trans jack while still under the vehicle by myself without damaging anything. What a bitch!!

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score

Yes they ARE!

I can feel the one on the driver side, I actually started it but once the wrench stops feeling tension on thebolt it stops spinning it, I can't distort my fingers enough to spin it all the way out and right now I can't even feel where the top bolt is on the passanger side. I'm getting close tho.

Last edited:

bigastrk

Reaction score
I used a swivel 13 mm I believe it was on about a 3' long extension to get the top bolts. Was fairly easy that way.

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
I used a swivel 13 mm I believe it was on about a 3' long extension to get the top bolts. Was fairly easy that way.

Your the second person to tell me to use a 3' long extension looks like I'm heading to NAPA.

bigastrk

Reaction score
It makes it super easy and no busted knuckles. NAPA may not have one but you can try. I had to buy mine from snap on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back