Ring and Pinion Install Question

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Excuse me if this is a 'stupid' question to some of you but its a question i have none-the-less.

When installing the 3.73" gears on a 2010 V6, the shims, is there a stock number of shims that are supposed to be on there or does every individual mustang have a different number of shims on them?

im asking this because i dont have a grinder to grind down a test bearing to see how many shims i will need so i only have 1 shot at pressing this bearing.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
If you mean the pinion shim, most of the time, if using FRPP gears, using the same shim as on your stock pinion will be the right size (pull off the stock pinion bearing and use that shim). If using other gear brands, you're on your own.

For differential shims, the stock setup will use 2 different shims, one on each side, for that particular rear end setup. The shim sizes are determined by the color codes on the sides of the shims. When you put a different ring gear in, you WILL LIKELY need to adjust the carrier shim sizes to get the proper backlash. That's where having a shim set comes in handy.

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
okay cool, i have an extra set of shims in case i need them, thanks guys for the info!! really helpful!

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
pinion shim on ford gears are .030

no they are not, each 7.5" and 8.8" rear end is different. 0.030 is just the midrange of ford factory specs which they try to target while production is in place. most rears that are too far out are scrapped. so you may have a rear that is 0.025 or 0.020 or you can go as high as 0.050, its just where along the tooling line was the rear end built.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back