McLeod clutch issue

Reaction score
Hey everyone, does anyone of you guys run the mcleod super street pro clutch kit number 75201 with their Lightened Steel Flywheel? Im about to pull the hair out. I just had and engine swap to another 4.6 3v and decided to change the clutch as well with this combo. Shop installed everything and clutch would not disengage, they pulled the trans today again, removed everything and installed back. I contacted Mcleod 10 times in 2 days and they say - it is a direct fit and it does not need a shim (unlike kit they had few years back). I measured everything and came out with .95 of an inch of preload on bearing which is perfect (it supposed to be as close to 1 inch as possible) so everthining should work. Pedal feels great but car wont go into gear with engine on (with engine off it does). I can hear the throwout bearing working when i press clutch in. Im at the loss of words, anyone experienced this?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Every time I read of somebody measuring there throwout bearing interference and determining no shim is needed, then the trans. wont go in gear when running but slips in when not running. A shim is needed. It’s easy to get confused when measuring the preload.
Note; More than one person has printed here that McLeod said no shim is required and later added a shim to make the clutch work. Do a search and I bet you find a few threads on the subject.

mattjames

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough that my Exedy clutch kit didn't need a shim. However I did measure and it was maybe an inch preload? The stock clutch had like 1.5" of preload. Probably needs to be shimmed. You're describing a condition where the pressure plate isn't being pushed far enough to disengage the clutch.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have a T56 mag with steel bellhouse and block plate, McLeod light weight steel flywheel, McLeod OEM style throwout and an RXT clutch. I have a 1/2” spacer behind the slave to get that 1” preload. When I ran the Street Extreme it only needed a 1/4” spacer.

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies, miracles happen - shop dropped trans, then i came in and was there the entire time to confirm that parts are correct, contacted mcleod and they confirmed that too. We put everything back together and it all works great now. I have no clue what was wrong, shop swears this is the exact way they put it first time. I dont even know what to say, but problem solved

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back