Ring and Pinion Install

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's the average time for a Ring and Pinion install? Also, are there recommended break-in procedures? If I have it done it will be either 1 hour away or 3 hours away. Either way on the autobahn.

Last edited:

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I asked my machanic the same question, and it all depends on how it comes apart and what seals need replaced and how they come out and go in. Assuming all goes well about 2 hours was the guess I was told and not to get upset if it took 4. That's why he gives a $350 price.

howarmat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
350 would be a good price....3-5 hours depending on the place.....mine took about 4 but as long as you trust the shop and the price is good 6 hours is fine with me, i just want it done correctly

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Guys who are good and do more rears than anything else can do it right in 3-5 hours. I have done several myself in about 5 hours.

The guy who did my Mustang works for the dealer. He does nothing but drive-line work for the dealer. Both commercial and personal. I told him I was going to race with it, so he did a complete tear down and installed a full rebuild kit with high-end bearings, cups/races, seals, etc.

The rebuild kit was another $170, but it was well worth it. I was racing the same day I had it installed. So far, 16,000 miles, 100+ races, and no problems or noise...

As far as break-in goes, like I said, I was racing the same day I had it installed. If it was a truck on a standard rebuild, I would say wait 200 miles before you tow so everything would seat right, but that clearly is not an issue here. :thumb:

2oo5GT

200 bucks but you have to supply the install kit and fluids and about 3-4 hours to swap.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of supplying the kit. If something goes wrong, which is very likely with these cars, the installer can just blame it on the gears and not the install. I'd rather get the gears through the shop doing the install so they can maintain full responsibility. Although $200 is a steal.

2oo5GT

He's a pretty good friend and works on everything here, from vipers to cobra's. He use to charge 100 bucks for gear swaps before he started his own buisness, but yeah, 200 is a steal.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He's a pretty good friend and works on everything here, from vipers to cobra's. He use to charge 100 bucks for gear swaps before he started his own buisness, but yeah, 200 is a steal.

Well that's different if you have a hook up. :clap:

2oo5GT

well, he charges everyone 200 bucks, so more of a trust thing than giving a discount thing. now if he would have done it for 100 bucks like before, that would of been a great friend to have.

Jon_Purdy

forum member
Reaction score
I asked a local dealership how much it would cost and they said $600 and I'd have to leave it overnight.:furious:

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The shop had mine for about two days but it was 200 for the install and everything works perfect..... yea yah two days, they are a busy shop.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Holy shit... :samuri:

The shop had mine for about two days but it was 200 for the install and everything works perfect..... yea yah two days, they are a busy shop.

That's nothing. I had a shop here tell me 5 days. They need time to drain the rear, change the gears, check the gears, fill it up and test drive it. I didn't even bother to respond to their answer. I have a feeling I won't be doing gears until the end of 2009 when I'm back in the States. :furious:

2oo5GT

If someone told me 5 days for a gear swap, i would be thinking it's their first or second time and hell no.

Back