rock chips

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
i think duplicolor has those touch up paint things. or if its not too bad just use a bit of clear.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i was hoping this thread would get more replies...because i was interested in this as well. i have several big rock chips that i have a feeling can only be fixed via repainting the whole damn hood.

BubbaRATM

bottle fed baby
Reaction score
yes i was hoping for the same. i have a few that are bad but mostly just small ones that are annoying. and i dont want to have it re painted.

Procharged06

forum member
Reaction score
If the chips aren't to bad then go to an auto paint supply store and get your paint code and some clear coat. Use a tooth pick to place paint into the chips building one small layer at a time. Then use tooth pick to build up 2-3 layers of clear coat. After it dries then wash/claybar/wax/polish etc.

BubbaRATM

bottle fed baby
Reaction score
that i will do, my buddy said he can mix the paint for me if i get him the paint code so i will do it soon.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
If the chips aren't to bad then go to an auto paint supply store and get your paint code and some clear coat. Use a tooth pick to place paint into the chips building one small layer at a time. Then use tooth pick to build up 2-3 layers of clear coat. After it dries then wash/claybar/wax/polish etc.
shit. so what do you do if it is too bad? i have a feeling to fix my shit id have to have the whole hood repainted.

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried the toothpick thing several times over the years, including wet sanding. You never really get rid of the rock chip. It just looks like you filled in the chip with paint, especially iwht a metallic paint. If you find something for Legend Lime that really works I'd be interested.

BubbaRATM

bottle fed baby
Reaction score
havent tried anything yet and have pretty much given up on this for now because another rock hit my windsheild and put a giant chip in it about the size of a quarter and i got pissed off and said until i move away from down here where al these gravel roads are there is no point in fixing them just for them to happen again. cost me $40 bucks today to have that rock chip fixed in my window and i can still see where it was and it will probably just happen again in a matter of weeks. the paint is the same was i have rock chips in my hood and now am even finding them on the a pillars and on the side of the car so when i go to basic i will just have the whole car re painted and not drive it near a damn gravel road.

jha1223

forum member
Reaction score
"Vehicle Color - The color of the vehicle also determines the quality of the scratch repair. Darker colors always look better than light ones. A scratch on a black or dark red metallic vehicle will always look better afterward than on a light silver or gold one."

Well crap ... and I know no one wants to be the guinea pig. I need to see if i have some chips on lower panels that won't be too obvious if this stuff is crap.

Last edited:

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
you can get clear plastic that sticks onto your bonnet(hood) and helps witht he rock chips

its 3M clear film that sticks to the car...

Back