rod bearings using boss rods

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between Boss Rod bearings and rod bearings used in a 4.6 3 valve? The part number for a 4.6 rod bearing is 5C3Z6211AB and the part number for a Boss 5.0 bearing is CR3Z6211A. If you were going to use a Boss connecting rod in a 3 valve 4.6, which rod bearing would you use?
Thanks

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between Boss Rod bearings and rod bearings used in a 4.6 3 valve? The part number for a 4.6 rod bearing is 5C3Z6211AB and the part number for a Boss 5.0 bearing is CR3Z6211A. If you were going to use a Boss connecting rod in a 3 valve 4.6, which rod bearing would you use?
Thanks

I'd use something close to a stock 4.6 3v bearing. Look for AL-5 or silicone impregnated aluminum. Fed Mogul, Speed Pro, Clevite, and King all make a version that use a steel backed, silicon aluminum bearing.

Why? Because it's hard, polishes the crank, and won't deform. Most performance bearings have a Babbitt layer or similar soft outer layer that will deform if needed. This is fine with a racing motor that will be torn down on a regular basis but imo it's not what you want for something you don't plan on tearing down to check clearances on a regular basis.

Keep in mind that my opinion is based on opinion.

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion.
Are stock bearings ok provided they maintain proper clearance? This is not a race motor and will not be disassembled on the regular basis. I am at the assumed 450 hp limit and i just want the added insurance that Boss rods and quality pistons provide.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion.
Are stock bearings ok provided they maintain proper clearance? This is not a race motor and will not be disassembled on the regular basis. I am at the assumed 450 hp limit and i just want the added insurance that Boss rods and quality pistons provide.

They work just fine for me. I'm not a professional engine builder so I mostly copy what works for Ford and replace parts that are known to go bad like connecting rods.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back