Rust on Seat Rails ?

richie9mt

Reaction score
Just got in a set of the dreaded seat extenders and was looking to see how easy/hard to grind/cut off the rivets and noticed that my drivers side front rail mount was pretty rusty. I'm 3rd owner, first two were Kentucky and Ohio; no CarFax notes about flood damage, no wet floor. I've already cleaned out my wiper drains and removed the bladders at the bottom of the firewall (they were clear).

Is this common on a 15 yr old w/87K miles??? Maybe just wet shoes splashing on bracket??? Or does it look like flooded footwell from leaks or even flood damage???

rust.jpg

Reaction score
Just got in a set of the dreaded seat extenders and was looking to see how easy/hard to grind/cut off the rivets and noticed that my drivers side front rail mount was pretty rusty. I'm 3rd owner, first two were Kentucky and Ohio; no CarFax notes about flood damage, no wet floor. I've already cleaned out my wiper drains and removed the bladders at the bottom of the firewall (they were clear).

Is this common on a 15 yr old w/87K miles??? Maybe just wet shoes splashing on bracket??? Or does it look like flooded footwell from leaks or even flood damage???

View attachment 80744

Those parts are unpainted steel with a black oxide coating that does not prevent rust. They can rust from humidity in the air. I noticed a similar thing on my car. It is just surface rust but if it bothers you (like it did me) just scotch-brite it off and brush paint it black.

richie9mt

Reaction score
Those parts are unpainted steel with a black oxide coating that does not prevent rust. They can rust from humidity in the air. I noticed a similar thing on my car. It is just surface rust but if it bothers you (like it did me) just scotch-brite it off and brush paint it black.

Thanks for the affirmation! I'll be tossing them when I bolt the new extenders in!

DieHarder

Reaction score
Thanks for the affirmation! I'll be tossing them when I bolt the new extenders in!

Depends on the extenders. The one's I got require you to use the current seat rails. They simply bolt on top. Result is you gain about 3" of legroom but you loose about an inch of head room. Have the same problem with rust on mine. Have tried a number of solutions; paint/rust preventative/converter/etc... Just keeps coming back. No water that I can find in my front pans.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Mea culpa... I didn't catch your mention of the tabs in the first post.

DBcooper

Reaction score
My 05 was worse than that when I bought it. I hit it with the rattle can when I upholstered the seats. I think that's a fairly common problem with these cars

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back