San Diego Area: CA legal

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I've entertained the idea to the better half of moving in 5 years to San Diego/ La Jolla area. When I think CA; I love the area geographically....but politically, no. With that said, messing with cars is a big hobby of mine and I don't want to give it up. If I live out there; I have to play their game or at least the game everyone like minded in CA plays.

My question is how do you guys in San Diego County pass emissions and spot checks? In NC, we don't spot check and its an annual test with OBD 2 and visual.

Sent from my cousin Stig's couch

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I can't answer your question since I never dealt with my car in CA, but having grown up there and now moved away, have you looked at the cost of living? You can easily expect your cost of living to double or triple to maintain a similar lifestyle to those from other parts of the country. I am NEVER moving back

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Any and everything you do to a car that is engine performance related must have a CARB exemption order associated with it. Most newer cars will require you to go to a STAR certified smog station to be tested. Which may require a tail pipe sniffer test through various RPMs' and OBDII readiness checked. People have and do get away with things like mild cams or internal engine changes as long as the tech inspecting doesn't find it. It really is up to their discretion. Now if you are stopped or are unfortunate enough to be flagged through one of the various roadside rollers tests and you don't pass the visual and emissions test then expect you to be cited and or your vehicle impounded. Most of that is for the import crown though as they are usually the biggest offenders in that regard. There are a few ways to get around emissions testing (registering your vehicle in a county that doesn't emission test etc.) but generally if it is 1976 and newer it needs to pass a visual inspection and have all the emissions equipment on the vehicle as it left the factory and functioning as well as pass the OBDII checks. OBDI will require a visual and tail pipe sniffer check.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Fuck CA

Nice place to visit. Head examination required to live there.

Like modding late model cars? Like firearms? Do not want. Danger Will Robinson!

Must my opinion. :)

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Just because it's newer doesn't mean it has to go to a STAR station. And 2000 an newer don't require a sniffer check anymore. They didn't even pop the hood of my Expedition when I had it smogged. And it had full exhaust. You don't have to submit to the road side checks. Some people keep the article in their glove box just in case. I haven't had to deal with that personally.

And La Jolla? You must be a bug time baller.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
With 4000 things in the CVC if you don't submit to the roadside test they WILL probably find something to cite you on. As far as star testing goes it is replacing Gold Shield and test only programs. Usually a visual and OBDII are all that is required. Meaning a guy who doesn't even look under the hood is breaking the law by being lazy as well as risking a hefty fine and losing the stations license. A lot of it depends on the county the car is registered in and if that is an enhanced area or not. Emissions enforcement was one of my last assignments for a few months before I medical retired in law enforcement. I dealt with all this stupid revenue generating crap on the daily and most of it has nothing to do with cleaner air or the environment. I would not move here by choice as already stated if you like being truly free.

Last edited:

D1984

forum member
Reaction score
I've never heard of the spot tests. Born and raised in CA, never lived in another state, and I've never had my car checked out except during a standard smog test. I don't know if I want to risk getting caught with an ORX though, which is why I haven't done it yet

postalworker

forum member
Reaction score
In 2010 I drove my 05 to Ojai and gave it to my daughter. It had to be smogged (sniffer).
Funny though, guy ran it through, pulled sniffers, and booted the computer, then ran again,
When I asked why he did it twice, he said he booted computer because he thought it was messed up. He had never seen readings like that before. 3 categories were ZERO....
Hell I had just driven it 3k miles at 85-90 (maybe a bit higher).... it was cleaned out ! ! !

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
California is NOT car-friendly. If you're a Ford/Mustang guy, it's best to own something that is completely exempt from their smog/equipment crap. This means owning something earlier than 1973.

Also, if you have OEM multi-carbs and/or OEM dual points, you're better off. That's my memory of living in San Diego for 25 years. I drove a 65 Mustang fastback with OEM dual quads and OEM dual points, and never had to have the car smog tested.

Forget having a modern car and being able to "mess with it".

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Funny init?

KB and AED are both based out of that state. What a pita their customers must have to deal with.

keith88lx

forum member
Reaction score
I had to deal with getting my fox smogged when I used to live in San Diego. One of the last times I went, the guy questioned my red MSD cap. Yes, the cap on my stock Distributor. Then he said he couldn't perform the test because he couldn't read the timing marks on my balancer.

La Jolla is nice though. I lived in Torrey Hills/Carmel Valley. I do miss that place as I am watching it snow right now here in Chicago.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
There are so many bad 'tech's who do the actual tests that the state had to standardize it. God forbid you have a car on the road with a carb still on it. You might as well walk in there with a flux capacitor. They will look at you with the same look.

DERRY90

forum member
Reaction score
California is very strict on emissions related mods. Every emission related(READ: ENGINE MOD) has to have a California Air Resources Board executive order. What we techs are supposed to do is find anything aftermarket and verify the CARB EO number, the BAR(State agency who manages the smog check program will often send undercover cars with defects or tampers(no EO numbers) into the smog shop to see if the shop passes it or not. That's why many techs are afraid to test any car with shiny parts in the engine bay. I do not agree with the state in that things like an intake would affect emissions. You would think as long as the emissions are clean, or the OBD2 system functions correctly that would all that matters. Unless your cats are not present, most cars with an intake would probably run cleaner then stock. Cali is a backwards state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
La Jolla was mentioned to see the worst case scenario. The pay for my current job is literally 3 times more than I make here. La Jolla and San Diego for work and Santee/C. Vista/ and etc further out to live and commute. Non-baller status here.

But on topic, basically the best thing to do is buy a Roushcharger kit, then add a smaller pulley, and a tune.....then call it quits. Lol.

I have wondered how several car shops/vendors are based out of CA.

I loved it while I was there. I just hate how one of the most beautiful states in the union has to be the dumbest.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I tell everyone in CA who wants to make power. Save your money and put a CA approved supercharger on it and be done with it. No hassles and no fuss.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
How does it work for getting aftermarket tunes with smog testing?

Running E85 and upgraded injectors?

Basically parts they can't see (aftermarket fuel pumps and converters) don't matter?

What are the ways to make good power (with limits of stock shortblock) with Roush; but be able to pass smog and inspections?

Wish I knew the California recipe for the People Republic's Fast Mustangs. Lol.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Any and all tunes that are legal must have a approved California Air Resource Board Exemption Order number. Which will usually be sold with a decal that can be affixed somewhere in the engine compartment or door jamb that the vehicle has an aftermarket tune and it is approved for use on the vehicle. As far as fuel pumps and injectors unless they look radically different then stock most will not notice them. Out of sight out of mind for the most part. Now I have seen someone who has one of those decals running another tune which is not 'approved', a more aggressive tune if you will and pass smog because the tuner knows you still have to have all parameters turned on and functioning in the tune.

Last edited:

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Wouldnt ever live in CA due to politics, legal crap, and cost of living.

CT isnt much better and ive been putting off moving for awhile, but i want to get out of this state as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back