shorty headers on 05 GT

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, my 2 cents here. I would keep your factory manifolds and run your choice of an off road mid pipes if your going for more volume. Btw if your wanting power and sound I would opt for long tubes, Hell bbk lts are cheap and prolly wouldn't cost 80-100 bucks more than a cheap set of shorties. Also your going to have almost the same shit took off your car to install the shorties so why not take tops an extra 2 hours and install lts. Seriously rethink your choice.
Nick

DRock

Reaction score
well if he is in california then he cant run long tubes so that wouldnt even be an option anyways so stop suggesting his long tubes ESPECIALLY since he already has the shorties.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Is cali so stick that you can't have long tube headers on your car? I thought that as long as you have cats you was ok. Anyways,svt racer if that is true that you can't have long tubes, I would put your shorties on a sale thread and buy a off road mid pipe because of emission testing and swapping mid pipes are sooooo easy that you could go back to your factory h pipe to pass emissions in less than a hour. You will also get the extra volume and a s.o.p increase. lol

05xgt

Reaction score
Did my FRPP shorties in 3hrs in my garage, ...if that long. As mentioned earlier starter, st/col and rack need to come undone, but that was it for me anyway. Didn't have to raise the engine. However I've turnrd wrenches for many years and yes you will get into positions the human body def isn't designed to be in naturally.

05sc281

1/4 mile freak !!
Reaction score
I installed bbk shories on mine and u will notice a lil difference in sound , I installed shorties cause i got a sweet deal on them and was oh well i had nothin to do and wanted to see how hard it was to install. I install mine on a lift and u can remove all the top exhaust manifold bolts with the car on the ground. then lift the car and removed the midpipe (dont have to remove axle back) . remove starter and loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine a hair with a trans jack if u have one to just have more space.. and yes u do have to undo the steering collum shaft. my car actually made 8 rwhp with the shorties but im guessing cause being that im forced induction . hope this helps ...

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
well if he is in california then he cant run long tubes so that wouldnt even be an option anyways so stop suggesting his long tubes ESPECIALLY since he already has the shorties.

there are ways around everything, specially if your in good with a local smog shop :beerchug2:

SVTRACER

Reaction score
well like i said before my girlfriends isnt going for power she just loves sound and i dont have but $280 in the headers and off road x-pipe so i dont think i got hurt and everything is brand new and hp gain would be nice but it not a big deal and im not located in cali in located in north carolina so emmisions arent that big of a deal for me thanks for all the info guys

SVTRACER

Reaction score
Did my FRPP shorties in 3hrs in my garage, ...if that long. As mentioned earlier starter, st/col and rack need to come undone, but that was it for me anyway. Didn't have to raise the engine. However I've turnrd wrenches for many years and yes you will get into positions the human body def isn't designed to be in naturally.

that doesnt sound bad im only 24yrs old but ive been turning wrenchs sine i was a young teenager so ive been in those possitions where the human body was designed to be in lol.. thanks for your help

BullittWow

mod-crazy-fool
Reaction score
that doesnt sound bad im only 24yrs old but ive been turning wrenchs sine i was a young teenager so ive been in those possitions where the human body was designed to be in lol.. thanks for your help

As long as she's a hottie, and treats you good, it's worth the skinned knuckles and pulled muscles. As long as she don't dump you after the holidays and especially after you install those headers!!! lol

MilSpec197

forum member
Reaction score
i did them my self with a lift (bbk shorties) it took a LONG time, but it was because i did it completely alone. with a second pair of hands its not hard at all...the most difficult part is re-installing the header bolts and removing the top starter bolt...o yeah, i hope you have small hands because the passenger side front o2 sensor is a b**** to get disconnected and reconnected

SVTRACER

Reaction score
When you get it done let us know how long it took you to install and how you think it sounds.

yeah ill let you know how long and ill take pics too..im not gonna get in a hurry so my time might be a little longer than some but ill take notes and post it when im done thanks

DRock

Reaction score
Good luck finding one of those shops around here. They have nearly all been found and shut down. Even with cats long tubes are still a no go. It suxs i know!!!!!!!!

SVTRACER

Reaction score
ok thanks for the help guys my next question is i know a tune is required but how long can i drive the car without a tune and be safe or do i need to trailer it to the dyno thanks

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Usually you will get a CEL. I ran no cats for about 2 weeks and my CEL never came on. Do you have a hand held tuner? If you have the SCT I think you can adjust the 02 sensor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back