Sidewall height for road racing

Delicious W

Reaction score
I'm currently using my 20in wheels with 285's and 255's with a 30mm sidewall. I really like them and I'm tired of worrying about tearing them up. I want to go to 18in wheels with 275's all around for the track. Is that a good sidewall size? Would 50mm be okay or should I go bigger?

Last edited:

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
A 275/40-18 is very close in overall diameter to the stock tires. A 275/35-18 is slightly smaller than the stock tires in overall diameter. It seems that there is a wider selection of race tires in 275/35-18 than 275/40-18. Either size should work well.

If you have the stock brake calipers, then you can use 17" wheels. There are quite a few race tires available in 275/40-17. Its a little smaller than stock diameter.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I have 18" 275/35ZR BFG R1's which is a full race tire and it doesn't quite fill out the wheel well, but it doesn't look bad either. You'll have more choices in (good)tires with 17" wheels imo.

I think the ideal size would be around a 275 or 285/45ZR but I can't find that size anywhere. They DO handle very well though. I wouldn't want to go smaller than a 35 series tire. One added benefit you get from running smaller diameter tires though is does give you more gear.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I'm currently using my 20in wheels with 285's and 255's with a 30mm sidewall. I really like them and I'm tired of worrying about tearing them up. I want to go to 18in wheels with 275's all around for the track. Is that a good sidewall size? Would 50mm be okay or should I go bigger?

You need to learn about tire sizes. What tire has a "30mm side wall"?

275/30-20 The first number is the width not exact but usually pretty close. The second number the "30" is the aspect ratio. The percentage of height compared to width not the an actual measurement. The side wall is 30% as high as the tire is wide. The last number is the diameter of the wheel.

You don't want to tear up tires get tires meant for what you're doing they might have a lower aspect ratio than 30 or they might be higher but it is the make and manufacturing of the tire, the intended use of the tire that matters. A 50 series tire meant for the street will tear up as bad or worse than the 30 series tire.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back