So I found out why my trans is puking...

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Rebuilding transmissions is a bang up time... provided you have the right snap ring pliers. And don't cut up your hands too horribly on the casting flash. Have all the parts you need.

On the T5 there was this trick where if you forgot to remove the roll pin from the shifter block it would seem lost... and you'd find another one, and pound it in, but that would push the old pin down into a recess in the transmission casting! And then you cut the shifter shaft with a hack saw and went and bought a parts transmission for $50, driving 250 km each way, in order to repair and reassemble the thing. This was my second rebuild, I had the transmission out a lot - steel input shaft bearing retainer, blocker rings and bearings and seals, and then I blew 3rd gear into shards and replaced the countershaft/gears/etc.. with the best parts available. This was when I forgot that pin... never work when you're too tired. I should have known I hadn't lost it. Found it immediately after I locked up the trans.

Nothing will ever match how that T5 shifted after I was done with it, though. Maybe a T56 XL direct shift whatever, but I'm not spending $5000 on one of those!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Damn that sounds like hell! Oh yea I totally destroyed the 5th gear snap ring that is why I wanted another one, I was actually about to cut it off after breaking two "snap ring" pliers not knowing the thing was called a LOCK RING and it's strong as hell.

I took tons of pics and placed everything in labeled zip lock bags and laid them out on the floor on a towel. I don't have any extra parts so that is a good thing lol
I was thinking of putting carbon fiber blocker rings in but I figured I don't want to spend much on this spare just fix reverse and the housing and that's it.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
All back together!
All gears shift properly, did a run with a drill on the input shaft and shifted in all the gears. (1500rpm max) that's about all the testing I can do, pretty damn sure she's all good, no extra parts or screws.. etc.. lol

2dbt8ya.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Let me rebuild your tranny bro. :roflmao:
So it's going back in the box tonight, do you think I should keep it empty or put a little fluid in it?
It will probably be unused for a few years, so I plan to Darren it.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If everything had oil on it when assembled, no oil. If the gears were dry, oil and spin it over with your drill.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
^thanks I may do just that, I oiled some select parts (syncro surfaces, bearing races) but i had everything pretty dry from handling it and wiping stuff down.

I will fill it up to spec then spin it over for a few min then empty the fluid and put it away.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Let me rebuild your tranny bro. :roflmao:
So it's going back in the box tonight, do you think I should keep it empty or put a little fluid in it?
It will probably be unused for a few years, so I plan to Darren it.

Polish it till it has a chrome finish?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back