Something new and cool!!!!

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How about a "transbrake" for a clutch car? Instead of letting off the clutch when you launch, imagine just letting go of a button.
McLeod makes a line launch control solenoid. What it does is when you press the button/switch it locks fluid in the hydraulic throwout bearing to keep the clutch disengaged. Pull upto the line, stage, press the clutch in, press the button, let off the clutch, then when you see green, let off the button and away you go!
I'm going to talk to my buddy that has a manual 05 and see about putting one of these in.
Just though it was cool and was passing along the info.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No cutch slipping with that, huh? Then again, with an aftermarket clutch, it wouldn't matter much. I'm liking that idea.

Hey, did you sell the p/s tank?

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled across that part and thought it sounded cool. I don't have any details at all. On a stock clutch, it may slip quite a bit if you have the rpm's up enough. I'm going to check into it a bit more and maybe install one on my buddies car.

I did sell the tank. Thanks!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How about a "transbrake" for a clutch car? Instead of letting off the clutch when you launch, imagine just letting go of a button.
Aren't they rather binary? Unless you have the ability to "tune" the clutch's rate of engagement, or enough traction/power to deal with on/off behavior it seems like removing your foot from the loop is a good way to ensure wheel spin in most setups...

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
you would have to very the rate of RPM to control that then...

Intresting idea. David post up any more info you find please. I'm going to their website to see if I can find anything.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you would have to very the rate of RPM to control that then...
But that would almost invariably take the RPMs down which costs you power and inertia of the engine which is the whole point in dropping the clutch at a higher RPM - to get the engine into its power band.

It would likely improve RT as your thumb/finger reacts faster than your foot, but at the expense of optimizing everything else about the launch.

You could likely get away with it if you had a broad enough power band, but N/A, Centri, Turbo setups it would seem to me this might hurt as much as it helps... All theory at this point, have not tried something like this...

If you really want to get fancy, you'd need to pull in some accelerometers, compare them with the ABS sensor position and modulate the clutch automatically as a function of wheel spin. Not just "line lock" the hydraulic clutch.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That does sound interesting, I'd like to hear from someone that has used it.

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After talking to a couple people, this may cause the clutch to hit too hard...blowing off the tires or just shocking everything too hard and have more breakage. Ehh...it sounded cool atleast. I'm sure there's a sweet spot to not blow off the tires, but would have to have the rpm's down quite a bit. Maybe ideal for bracket racing b/c ET isn't important. A 2 step would be ideal with something like this so you could precisely control rpm's at launch.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
That setup is rather old. I had one YEARS ago on my Fairmont. Didn't work too great either. Fluid doesn't "dump" quick enough so I had to run it with a delay box. That took me out of the No Electronics class and dumped me into Super Pro with all the dragsters and tube cars. Eventually installed a "dump line" that helped evacuate the fluid quicker but it was still a pain in the butt. It just wasn't repeatable from run to run so my reaction times were all over the place....which, if any of you know me well enough, is a big deal with me. We eventually switch the car over to a mechanical linkage setup with an adjustable pedal stop. Tossed the delay box and rowed my way to a runner-up in the track championship for the N/E class.

If you get it to work on an S197......congratulations. It will hit like a bitch if you get the fluid to dump quick enough. Maybe if you use an orifice in the dump line it might "regulate" the fluid better so you can tune the hit.

Last edited:

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It would be ideal if you can be more precise with reaction and consistency...but with all the extra crap needed....not ideal. I'm not really feeling froggy enough to make something like that work on a S197. Sounds like more potential for issues.

Back