Steeda Adjustable Panhard Bar Install

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
About to install and curious if it's as simple as it looks. Any tricks of the trade I need to know? Does the car need to be off the ground and no pressure on the wheels? Thanks in advance.-Shane

jsnyng

Reaction score
I've seen various theories online as to the best way to do it. I'll tell you how I found it to be easiest to do. Put the rear axles up on jack stands, remove the rear wheels, remove the old panhard and brace, install the new one, put the wheels back on, put the car back on the ground, adjust the panhard while on the ground, use a plumb bob on the fender with a ruler to measure if you're centered, and use wheel chocks on the front wheels for safety while you've got the car in the air.

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score
Back it up on some ramps, swap the bar and adjust. No need to take the wheels off.

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
I also installed mine on ramps without taking the wheels off. The only catch for me is to use a Craftman standard open end wrench to tighten the jam nut inside the boxed area. All of my combination wrench (box/open) are too big to fit in there.

I guess I could have removed it from the car to make adjustment, but that was too much work. :)

Don't forget the blue loctite on the jam nut...

GlassVapor

forum member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you measure to see how far the stock bar is off and adjust the new bar on the bench then install it voila

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you measure to see how far the stock bar is off and adjust the new bar on the bench then install it voila

This would work great, you would just have to put the ole foot on the body and push it over.

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
This would work great, you would just have to put the ole foot on the body and push it over.

Yeah I would assume you have to match them identically on the bench to install then adjust when in place. Are we eying the rim to fender for this adjustment? Sure would be nice if there was a centering notch/tik mark etc etc somewhere for a perfect alignment. Thanks for all the input guys.-Shane

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
You can match them identically on a bench. That sure as hell doesn't mean the rear end is going to be lined up properly. jsnyng has given you great directions. Also, there is more than one thread about this if you would search. I started a thread back awhile ago about how to tell if your PHB is properly adjusted and got some great info.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
You can generally get close, by "bench setting" it.....however....it is not truly aligned until you verify by measuring/adjusting once it is on the car.

There are many ways to install it. Some are easier and better than others, depending on the person doing it. I suggest putting the car in the air, and tackling it the best way you see fit.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
You can generally get close, by "bench setting" it.....however....it is not truly aligned until you verify by measuring/adjusting once it is on the car.

There are many ways to install it. Some are easier and better than others, depending on the person doing it. I suggest putting the car in the air, and tackling it the best way you see fit.

Yup, very true. Personally, I installed the PHB with the car on jackstands, the wheels removed for other reasons. When it was time to measure to see if the rear end was centered, I let the car down and did the first measurements. Found out that even though I had set it to the factory stock length, it was still off by a 1/4". So I jacked the car up on the rear diff pumpkin, put the jackstands back in place and then lowered the jack until the car just touched the stands. I then did my adjustments and measurement checks like that. Once I was done, I let the car down and the rear end was within 1/16" of being centered. Good enough for me!

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
Update...its seems that you have to align them perfectly in order to get the new one in. Then you align the car while it's installed. From what I gather you turn the bar itself with the welded nut to adjust, not the bolts on the either end which I assume is the jam nuts. Now if both jam nuts are loose then your just spinning bar rite? It would eventually loosen on one side and tighten on the other but initially your just spinning it. Should you have one side jam nut tight in order to move the rear end over? Thanks again...

Last edited:

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Loosen up both jam nuts and rotate the bar. Each of the rod ends rotates in opposite direction so the panhard bar is made longer or shorter as you rotate the bar to move the axle from side-to-side.

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
Loosen up both jam nuts and rotate the bar. Each of the rod ends rotates in opposite direction so the panhard bar is made longer or shorter as you rotate the bar to move the axle from side-to-side.

Makes sense, Thanks-Shane

Last edited:

silverstangz

forum member
Reaction score
I also installed mine on ramps without taking the wheels off. The only catch for me is to use a Craftman standard open end wrench to tighten the jam nut inside the boxed area. All of my combination wrench (box/open) are too big to fit in there.

I guess I could have removed it from the car to make adjustment, but that was too much work. :)

Don't forget the blue loctite on the jam nut...
Everything he said !!!!!

Back