Steering wheel vibration after visiting Ford Dealership

20155h

Reaction score
If you look closely on the first video. Looks like the whole axel slightly moves to.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Your tires and wheels look like new takeoffs and if so, they will fit older cars but the center hub must not be a rusted mess. Then years ago, I had the same side to side play. The new installed rear end third member was missing a pin.

jmustang

Reaction score
In order for you to see any variance in tire height, you would need to spin the tire much faster. Like idling in first gear faster.

New video, on jack stands idling in first. You can actually see the tire moving up and down and hear when it contacts the object each rotation.

https://youtube.com/shorts/j1cIRG1cuJE?feature=share

I’m thinking next step would be put the old tires back on and see if there’s still a vibration? That would rule out suspension or bent wheels/axles.

I have to find a performance shop out here with a road force balancer that can fit this tire. Local tire shops don’t have one unfortunately. My next track day is in 10 days and I’m running out of time [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieHarder

Reaction score
Actually, if you look closely it appears the rim is also slightly out-of-round. It so, it can be fixed. Companies, like Quest Rim can push/bend it back into shape. I've used them on a couple of sets of rims with great results. Your plan to compare with the old wheels is the next logical step.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The rim isn't out of round, just the tire. Easy to see on a 32" computer screen instead of a phone. Also if you go back to the beginning of the thread he had no vibration with those rims and the old tires last week. So again I repeat- look at what has changed and quit messing with what has not changed.

jmustang

Reaction score
Tire weights aren't going to make it round. Defective tire. Return it to where you got them and get a replacement. Yes, even Michelin makes a defective tire once in a while.

Appreciate your help skwerl, thank you.

For anyone else interested, I purchased the Michelin’s through Simple Tire. I am starting the return/warranty process and they have requested the following:

1) Install-on invoice copy
2) Balancing reports showing the issue (especially, if its a print from the road force balancer machine)
3) Recent dated courtesy inspection check work order from an authorized installer describing the issue in detail and verifying that the issue was not caused due to a road hazard incident

Not sure if they will use the balancing report to screw me since the tires do balance. We will see how they handle the situation.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
So the retailer is making you deal with Michelin directly? I assume they are a no-frills discount dealer, not a regular tire store. Typically the dealer will replace the tire and deal with the manufacturer for reimbursement.

On the other hand, the dealer should be able to provide you with all the documentation you need since they are making you do their job.

jmustang

Reaction score
So the retailer is making you deal with Michelin directly? I assume they are a no-frills discount dealer, not a regular tire store. Typically the dealer will replace the tire and deal with the manufacturer for reimbursement.

On the other hand, the dealer should be able to provide you with all the documentation you need since they are making you do their job.

The retailer is opening the claim with Michelin and I am providing them the documentation. They are an internet company, no physical locations.

As long as the documentation is acceptable they say they will send a replacement, and returning the defective tires may or may not be necessary.

We’ll see how it all turns out, I am anticipating resistance, hope I am wrong…

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
The retailer is opening the claim with Michelin and I am providing them the documentation. They are an internet company, no physical locations.

As long as the documentation is acceptable they say they will send a replacement, and returning the defective tires may or may not be necessary.

We’ll see how it all turns out, I am anticipating resistance, hope I am wrong…

Hence one of the issues of dealing with Internet companies. Sometime certain purchases should be done with Brick and Mortar locations. Easier dealing face to face.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Hence one of the issues of dealing with Internet companies. Sometime certain purchases should be done with Brick and Mortar locations. Easier dealing face to face.

Hence why I went back to tire rack. I tell them I have my own machines and how it either took a bunch of weight, or it was visibly out of round on the machine, they send me a new tire. I was using other companies or e-bay that were a bit cheaper, but just not worth the hassle.

Out of round tires are not uncommon anymore. Seems worse to me with the super low profiles these days. I have plenty of trucks and old cars that sit up to a year. Don't even really flat spot like the low profile stuff,
and seem much less sensitive to out of roundness (I probably also drive them slower overall, so that is some of it).

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Hence why I went back to tire rack. I tell them I have my own machines and how it either took a bunch of weight, or it was visibly out of round on the machine, they send me a new tire. I was using other companies or e-bay that were a bit cheaper, but just not worth the hassle.

Out of round tires are not uncommon anymore. Seems worse to me with the super low profiles these days. I have plenty of trucks and old cars that sit up to a year. Don't even really flat spot like the low profile stuff,
and seem much less sensitive to out of roundness (I probably also drive them slower overall, so that is some of it).
Tire rack is not the norm with internet based companies. They care and stand behind the products they sell.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Tire rack is not the norm with internet based companies. They care and stand behind the products they sell.

Understood, discount tire has not been too bad either. E-bay sellers are horrible. I also often wondered if the guy selling the cheapest, gets the tire that are just a little bit "not made as well" ,a truck load of minor blems maybe, than say a local dealer that has to see the customer (and also charges more many times).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back