Still Charging System

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I thought my problem was done with, but has come back again, before I posted, that my battery was draining itself within 12 hrs to the point that it can't start the car and I would have to jump it to get it to start. I did get a system load test and it read excessive ripple, so then I replaced the alternator as well, I have relocated the battery to the trunk as well. After I replaced the alternator it was fine for a few weeks and as of the last week this problem has come back. Also something happened the other night when I was driving the car all the electronics and the car shut off for a brief millisecond and then restarted.

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy...I remember you posting about it a while back, and me thinking it may be the alternator. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread in case this is something I have to look out for. Keep us posted. Good luck!

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Today, the car sat over 24 hrs. without being started, it started up without a hiccup, clueless.

28hopup

drawing a blank
Reaction score
It could be the Shaker 500 radio. The one in our 2005 died in 2007. Ford replaced the unit under warranty (back then). The car is on its 3rd alternator too, but the battery drain WAS caused by the radio in our case.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
This is something new I put on another forum, I have replaced my battery and alternator and the car will discharge itself within a few hours and now with even disconnecting the power to the battery when it is setting it is very weak when I reconnect it, when I reconnect it and try to start it, it acts like it doesn't want to turn, the lights dim out and it will make a few slow cranks, and then it will crank over, it also takes a little longer than usual to crank it over.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
I believe my problem is the passenger window motor, I haven't looked at it yet, but I pulled the fuse for it and the car has kept a charge since.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post my alternator experiences. I replaced my alternator 5 times back in 2010 and it ended up being the HID's causing the power drain in my case. Something to think about if you have an aftermarket system, whether it be HID's, stereo, etc. Post what you find. I'm interested to see what could be causing the issues.

Back