Still squeaking after 8 rib and tensioner

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
So it was fine after I had gi joes 8 rib setup and tensioner. Then after about 3 days a new squeak started. Its not as high pitched as the belt squeal i was getting. Its more of a rub sound. Checked and nothings rubbing though. Its definitley coming from the tensioner. And theres alot of belt dust behind it.

It looks to me like the back side of the belt is getting chewed up. It looks like it might be rubbing against the inside (motor side) of the tensioner pulley shoulder.

Also, what are you all using to undo the lock nut on the tensioner bolt? Its hard to get in there.

J

jbailer

Are you sure your tensioner is not bent? It doesn't take much. -Joe

GI Joe

Reaction score
somethings up with his setup because he has put the stock tensioner on and it did it...he replaced the belt and it did it....somethings wrongs...but dont know what...

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Is this a stock tensioner or the Thump_rrr one? I had the exact problem with mine after putting on the 8 rib kit, just to find out it bent the stock tension in 3 days....damn GI Joe, that 8 rib kit doesn't slip...lol. The dust you are most likely seeing is the belt being cut into two separate belts and in about 3 more days one of the two thin belts will break and wrap all over everything. Not saying this IS your problem, but it does sound very similar to my experience. Talk to Thump_rrr and get one of his tensioners if yours is stock. BTW, once you have one, you will love the GI JOE/Thump_rrr combo!!

:allhail:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So it was fine after I had gi joes 8 rib setup and tensioner. Then after about 3 days a new squeak started. Its not as high pitched as the belt squeal i was getting. Its more of a rub sound. Checked and nothings rubbing though. Its definitley coming from the tensioner. And theres alot of belt dust behind it.

It looks to me like the back side of the belt is getting chewed up. It looks like it might be rubbing against the inside (motor side) of the tensioner pulley shoulder.

Also, what are you all using to undo the lock nut on the tensioner bolt? Its hard to get in there.

Is this a stock tensioner or the Thump_rrr one? I had the exact problem with mine after putting on the 8 rib kit, just to find out it bent the stock tension in 3 days....damn GI Joe, that 8 rib kit doesn't slip...lol. The dust you are most likely seeing is the belt being cut into two separate belts and in about 3 more days one of the two thin belts will break and wrap all over everything. Not saying this IS your problem, but it does sound very similar to my experience. Talk to Thump_rrr and get one of his tensioners if yours is stock. BTW, once you have one, you will love the GI JOE/Thump_rrr combo!!

:allhail:
Judging by the shouldered pulley and the lock nut on the tensioner.
I'd be willing to bet money that it's not my tensioner that he's using.

GI Joe

Reaction score
Judging by the shouldered pulley and the lock nut on the tensioner.
I'd be willing to bet money that it's not my tensioner that he's using.

yea I figured that out by...um. reading the first post...:moon2:

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
ok so heres the scoop. I have the BGG Performance 8 rib pulleys as well as the BGG billet tensioner.

Problem A: shoulder on the engine side of the tensioner pulley was ripping up the belt. Shimmed it slightly towards the engine block and belt problem solved. Although we may have to shave a little off the block cuz it rubs that now sometimes....not all the time which is weird in its own right.

Problem B The belt is quiet when you install a new belt, but within 3 or 4 days it starts screetching at any rpm over 2000 when held at that rpm or under decelleration....it is quiet under acceleration.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to shave anything off the engine at all. Double check you didn't bend that tensioner. That sounds exactly like my car when the tensioner was bent.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does it liik anything like this?
1262675L.JPG

Just make sure it's not doing that or its screwed.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
it looks like my tensioner. is that one bent? i havent checked mine to see if its bent. but i just put it on. if its bent, then im gonna have to question its design. tomorrow im going back to the shop. he was in touch with someone at BGG about it, so we will look into whether its bent. but its definitley touching the block now

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it looks like my tensioner. is that one bent? i havent checked mine to see if its bent. but i just put it on. if its bent, then im gonna have to question its design. tomorrow im going back to the shop. he was in touch with someone at BGG about it, so we will look into whether its bent. but its definitley touching the block now
Yes, that one is bent.
You can see that the idler is not parallel with the base.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
End result: Fixed. Tensioner wasnt bent. It wasnt hitting the blcok, it was hitting the ac pulley. I duno how cuz i never saw it, but the rub marks showed it. My mechanic had put some grease on the belt to make sure it was the belt slipping and not a bearing. Turns out there was still some grease on there and thats why it was slippting. we cleaned it up yesterday, retensioned the belt. Hasnt made a sound yesterday or today. Perfect! GIJOE still rocks.

A note to anyone thinking they may need this kit: When you shift when you are racing or on it hard, do you lose speed like it bogs when u put it into the next gear? I thought I just lost my touch with shifting....nope its belt slip. Cuz it doesnt happen to me anymore. So if you experience this, go get the 8-rib.

GI Joe

Reaction score
End result: Fixed. Tensioner wasnt bent. It wasnt hitting the blcok, it was hitting the ac pulley. I duno how cuz i never saw it, but the rub marks showed it. My mechanic had put some grease on the belt to make sure it was the belt slipping and not a bearing. Turns out there was still some grease on there and thats why it was slippting. we cleaned it up yesterday, retensioned the belt. Hasnt made a sound yesterday or today. Perfect! GIJOE still rocks.

A note to anyone thinking they may need this kit: When you shift when you are racing or on it hard, do you lose speed like it bogs when u put it into the next gear? I thought I just lost my touch with shifting....nope its belt slip. Cuz it doesnt happen to me anymore. So if you experience this, go get the 8-rib.
Glads its all straight. Thanks for the patience.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back