Stock H Removal 2011+

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of pulling my motor, and I am having a tough time in a stupid place. I was expecting the stock H-pipe flange bolts to be accessible from the bottom like the 3V, but it looks like they are studs facing the front. I broke several extensions already trying to get the first one out from the top, and to be honest I don't even think I can even touch the other three from the top. I looked through several tech guides for header swaps and it sure looks like the studs face the opposite direction than what I am seeing.

Any tips from veterans who have done the swap before on the 2011+?

Last edited:

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
just swapped the cats out for offroad in my 12. what are you having issues with? are you talking about the flange for the cats?
I used an extension with a swivel socket to get to the passenger side external nut and everything else was accessible from under the car.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
just swapped the cats out for offroad in my 12. what are you having issues with? are you talking about the flange for the cats?
I used an extension with a swivel socket to get to the passenger side external nut and everything else was accessible from under the car.
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/dsmith658/roush%20teardown/20151113_151642.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/dsmith658/roush%20teardown/20151113_151642.jpg

The pic is my primary issue. The bolts are just not coming out. I finally just put my ass into it and snapped one off. Using penetrating oil.

Just doesn't make sense that I have to break them all off to get them out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tiddies

life in the slow lane
Reaction score
If you are talking H-pipe to manifold bolts, those should be able to be removed from underneath the vehicle. The only one that is a beast is the outside passenger I believe, and that one is pretty much the devil.

They should be studs through the manifold. Are your not like that?

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
i had lots of difficulty breaking those nuts loose. I blasted it with penetrating oil, let it sit while I drank a beer, then proceeded to break them loose. I didn't have to snap the studs off though lol. sorry you had to do that man

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
If you are talking H-pipe to manifold bolts, those should be able to be removed from underneath the vehicle. The only one that is a beast is the outside passenger I believe, and that one is pretty much the devil.

They should be studs through the manifold. Are your not like that?
Can you tell me exactly how you got the outside flange bolt on the passenger side? I have a deep well on a swivel and it hits the body, so it won't fit right. I have a crazy line of extensions coming out the top trying to turn it. It's basically a useless exercise. I'll take any advice you can give on that one.

I broke off all the rest of them.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
I used a swivel socket with a long extension. when I got the socket seated to the nut, I grabbed my impact and gunned that sucker out.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
Well good news is it worked. But holy shit that sucker was a bastard.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
nah, taking the battery tray wouldn't do anything. if I remember correctly, the strut tower molding of the engine bay is the limiting factor. just gotta get a light to shine right on the bolt and you can get to it from the top with an extension.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back