Strut spring difference between 2011+ and 2009-?

jth877

Reaction score
If I were to replace my 20313 GT strut mounts with GT500 mounts, can I reuse my stock springs on the older struts or will that change ride height?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just swapping out the strut mounts doesn't alter the ride height. However, you might just as well upgrade from the stock dampers and springs to performance oriented ones that will provide better handling and control while you're at it at the same time rather than later :shrug:

jth877

Reaction score
So the spring height between them are the same? My oem struts/springs only have 12k miles. My set up would be GT500 mounts/OEM 2011+ spring/2009 GT struts.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I clearly said that just changing the strut mounts alone doesn't alter ride height. Therefore, your setup of GT500 mounts with OEM springs/dampers will remain OEM height!

SalSnyder

Reaction score
Koni STR orange struts will lower the front end about an inch with stock springs. But that's due to the strut. Factory 2009 Ford struts should maintain the stock ride height.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I presume you know this thru personal experience? Otherwise, I don't accept for a single moment that Koni STR.T struts will lower the front end with stock springs at all. Therefore, If they do in fact lower the front end with OEM springs as you claim? this would mean the Koni struts are approx one inch shorter than factory OEM dampers which is totally inaccurate. Also FYI: I have the Koni sport yellow adjustable struts/shocks on my 2006 GT and according to several Koni tech support reps that I've spoken with over the phone have confirmed their STR.T and sport adjustable yellow dampers are the same height as the factory OEM struts/shocks and are therefore fully compatible for both moderate lowering spring and OEM ride height applications. The only major differences between the Koni and OEM struts/shocks are the Koni's have larger pistons and are valved differently.

Last edited:

Frankief28

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know what I can do to fix my suspension ? I have control arms pan hand bar Koni struts both front and rear with 1.5 springs but for some reason when I go over a bump I can feel everything

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
FYI: The more you lower the suspension, the stiffer the ride quality is going to end up. Needless to say, If your expecting your car to ride like it did when it was stock? you can pretty much forget it. The main purpose behind lowering the suspension, is to improve the overall handling/cornering and unfortunately ride quality is often sacrificed in the process. I can also tell you from personal experience that running Koni sport adjustable struts/shocks paired with Eibach pro kit springs have dramatically improved my car's handling, but is also much stiffer vs stock. Tire sizes are also a contributing factor. Larger sidewall tires absorb more of the road surface over tires which have lower profiles to them. Therefore, you may also want to take that into consideration as well. You may also want to consider looking into Ford performance M-18000-A struts/shocks and BMR SP009 lowering springs which are a softer progressive rated spring. I would've recommended Bilstein B6 HD dampers, however, I would not recommend those for lowering spring applications beyond 1.25" Meanwhile, here's a link provided below for the Ford performance struts/shocks.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-18000-A

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Interesting subject here......just as I'm looking into getting a set of OEM '12-'13 Boss 302 springs to replace the OEM springs on my '09 Glass Roof to pair up w\ the OEM '13 Boss 302 frt sway bar & matching rear sway bar I've installed recently.

Carry on..............

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back