Sudden clutch failure

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I was back-roading home last night and my clutch started to stink pretty badly and pretty much stopped moving the car within 5 miles or so. THe clutch pedel did stick to the floor at one point at only a cruising RPM. It got to the point where I could put the car into gear without using the clutch at all. This wasn't preceded by any hardcore revving or driving the shit out of the car, it was sudden and went down hill really quickly. I've never had a clutch got to slipping and fail entirely all in one day, or in such a short amount of mileage from first symptom to complete failure. So any input is very welcome here. 56,004 miles on original clutch. Car is an early 08 type GT (pre head division).

Obviously I know I need to replace the clutch, so there's that to deal with now. Does anyone have the Ford ESP? I have the PremiumCare plan, you guys think the dealer might handle this one? Is it worth taking it in to see about it? I can do the job myself, that's not a big deal, but it sure would be nice to not have to mess with it laying on my back if I don't have too ;)

I'm in Brenham Tx if that makes any difference, like maybe a certain dealer to take it too.

Anywho, lemme know what yous guys thinks abouts this nonsense.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is the clutch. I'm mean mine has 100K miles and still works fine. It sounds like to me, that it might be more to do with clutch master cylinder or throw out gizmo. My clutch pedal has started feeling sluggish/heavy after extended periods of highway driving. Once the car has cooled down it is back to normal, which isn't that great feeling to me but might be as it is supposed to feel. I don't really know. As far as your car is concerned could it be that the throw out cylinder has stuck fully extended. It's a thought.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
ANy help or advice would be awesome, if it's a failure other then just the plain old clutch disk, my ESP will cover it. Just trying to avoid paying a dealership to R&R to only be denied. I can do the clutch myself, if need be, just trying to have an educated guess before I cross my fingers and pray to the warranty gods, lol

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
Just my opinion of course, but even if it's just the slave I'd be replacing the clutch while the trans is out anyways.

The warranty isn't going to cover the clutch, only the trans r&r.

If it was mine I wouldn't bother taking it in, I'd be buying the parts I want and getting after it.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Any issues with the brakes? I can't see the clutch failing like that without affecting the brakes

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
ANy help or advice would be awesome, if it's a failure other then just the plain old clutch disk, my ESP will cover it. Just trying to avoid paying a dealership to R&R to only be denied. I can do the clutch myself, if need be, just trying to have an educated guess before I cross my fingers and pray to the warranty gods, lol

You could sell the esp back to the dealership and use the money for a new clutch.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
You could sell the esp back to the dealership and use the money for a new clutch.

Is that a real thing? lol. I was able to observe enough through the square hole on the bottom of the bell housing, the clutch fiber was everywhere and the slave and pressure plate were functioning fine.
I went ahead and pulled the trans this morning. The clutch disk was bare metal on both sides, not material left at all. Large chunks of clutch fiber were still intact laying in clumps inside the bell housing.

IMG_1505_zpse20f318f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1511_zps7ff430ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1513_zps69141a32.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1514_zps95ea753e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1516_zps82c57641.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1512_zpse74108a6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Any issues with the brakes? I can't see the clutch failing like that without affecting the brakes

Brakes and pedal feel never changed, out side of the short period the clutch pedal stuck to the floor when I was running through the "wtf is happening" dance when the clutch went to slipping

Last edited:

panama

forum member
Reaction score
That's crazy. Did you ever figure out what happened with this or was it one of those completely random occurrences?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
MAn, I really don't know what to attribute this failure to. The clutch in this car has always been strange at times. The car would bog out if you tried to do a second gear burn out, the pedal stuck to the floor a few times at way too low an RPM, I'm starting to think the pressure plate had issues.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back