Switching to 2011+ brakes

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The upgrade to the 2-piston sliding caliper 13.2" brakes is relatively easy for the previous S197 cars... That's what came on my base model 2013 GT, shown below. And yes, they are technically "bigger" than the previous 11" and 12" bits, but they are still inadequate for track use. Let me explain...

DSC_5076-L.jpg

I bought a brand new 2013 GT in the Fall of 2013, to go along with my existing 2011 GT (Brembo equipped). The car was but a few days old, still had paper plates. With nothing more than an 18x10" wheel and 295/35/18 tire upgrade all around we took it to the track (Eagles Canyon Raceway) during a NASA TT event Oct 6th, 2012, to get a "baseline lap time" with the stock 13.2" brakes...

IMG_6217-L.jpg

I mean, sure, I figured the 13.2" brakes would suck compared to the 14" 4 piston Brembos, but I had no idea how quickly and totally they would fail.

IMG_6222-L.jpg

I am 8 laps into my first session on track that day, and the car is moving around the track all right. I ran a best lap pf 2:07.3 and on the next lap, coming into Turn 7 at about 120 mph... the brake pedal goes to the floor. No warning, just nothing. I went off the track at the end of T7 at about 85 mph and took a ride off road. Limped it back to the pits and what did I see? The front brake pads had disintegrated. There was nothing left but the backing plates. Catastrophic brake failure.

DSC_8917-L.jpg

So we installed one of our 14" Brembo front brake upgrades to this car, which we have sold 200+ worth of since that day. Had installed a set of coilovers and camber plates during that time as well, and we used this car to develop our 2013-14 brake cooling inlet duct kits, which are barely visible in the image below.

DSC_8950-L.jpg

Came back to this track a couple more times and in June of 2013 ran a 2:03 lap on the same tires but now in 99°F weather. Of course the brakes not only worked better they lasted all day, with two drivers beating on them session after session.

_DSF2629%20copy-L.jpg

Long story short - don't install the 13.2 brakes and expect any miracles. The rotor is smaller but the caliper is the big determent here. The Brembo upgrade is relatively easy and cheap, and is a MUCH better brake for the S197 than any of the two-piston sliding caliper OEM versions.

Cheers,

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Was that on stock brake pads? Seems to me that the brake pad was the weak point there, more so than the rotor or caliper...

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Was that on stock brake pads? Seems to me that the brake pad was the weak point there, more so than the rotor or caliper...
To a small degree, sure... but I've done the same track testing at the same facility with brand new OEM pads on a 14" rotor / Brembo setup and didn't wear the pad down to the backing plate in 8 laps.

DSC_6354-L.jpg

The Brembo is a better caliper, the 14" rotor is more appropriate for this chassis for track use.

_DSF3582-L.jpg

Of course the 14" Brembo brake setup isn't "indestructible", and we chronicled the things we did on our 2011 GT over 5 seasons to make them last longer. Better track rated pads, better brake fluid, brake cooling. The faster you go on track the more this becomes crucial.

IMG_1125-L.jpg

The S550 4-piston caliper actually uses a bigger pad than the S197 version, but the inverted hat rotors on the S550 14" are totally unsuited to track use. We have documented that at length in our S550 build thread.

DSCN0419-L.jpg

We have better Motorsport grade caliper (4 and 6 piston) and rotor (350 and 380mm) upgrades for this chassis, beyond what any of the OEM based stuff. Just costs more. My point is, the S197 4 piston Brembo is a LOT of stopping power for the money - and its a damn sight better than the 12-13.2" twin piston S197 brakes.

Cheers,

Cheers,

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
What is the smallest diameter wheel can you run with the S197 4 piston and 14” rotors?

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
To a small degree, sure... but I've done the same track testing at the same facility with brand new OEM pads on a 14" rotor / Brembo setup and didn't wear the pad down to the backing plate in 8 laps.

DSC_6354-L.jpg

The Brembo is a better caliper, the 14" rotor is more appropriate for this chassis for track use.

_DSF3582-L.jpg

Of course the 14" Brembo brake setup isn't "indestructible", and we chronicled the things we did on our 2011 GT over 5 seasons to make them last longer. Better track rated pads, better brake fluid, brake cooling. The faster you go on track the more this becomes crucial.

IMG_1125-L.jpg

The S550 4-piston caliper actually uses a bigger pad than the S197 version, but the inverted hat rotors on the S550 14" are totally unsuited to track use. We have documented that at length in our S550 build thread.

DSCN0419-L.jpg

We have better Motorsport grade caliper (4 and 6 piston) and rotor (350 and 380mm) upgrades for this chassis, beyond what any of the OEM based stuff. Just costs more. My point is, the S197 4 piston Brembo is a LOT of stopping power for the money - and its a damn sight better than the 12-13.2" twin piston S197 brakes.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Sorry to threadjack but @Vorshlag, in the second pic of post 23, is that rust at the front of the rocker panel, under the base of the a pillar? With a year round daily driver in New England this has me worried what might be hiding under my fender. I'm hoping it's just dirt and debris. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry to threadjack but @Vorshlag, in the second pic of post 23, is that rust at the front of the rocker panel, under the base of the a pillar?....

Nope, that's a little mud there. That car never had a spec of rust on it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back