The Wall

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
I started this project last November. The Railroad tie retaining wall was about 25 years old, and beginning to fail. It was time to replace it:

WALL102809.jpg

The lovely Kristina and I discussed the many options - Replace it with more railroad ties, PT landscape timbers, stackable landscape blocks, concrete blocks/poured footer, or poured wall. We choose concrete blocks/poured footer, as we (I) could do it a bit at a time, as money and my back would allow. Had to take a long break January/February, as it's no fun to dig when things are frozen!

Here's where we are - so far.

WALL051010lr.jpg

Still got at least 3, probably 4 rows of block to go, and lots of digging to get enough fill dirt. but, I've got all summer, and need the exercise. I'll post more photos on this thread as the wall progresses.

If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and have a cold one and watch - My neighbors all think this is a spectator sport...

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and have a cold one and watch - My neighbors all think this is a spectator sport...

HAHA I have those same neighbors , won't help much but damn do they like watching/laughing at me throwing shit around the yard when shit goes to hell ( like normal with my shit luck ) .

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
shit if i were local i would give you a hand. i spent a few years as a brickie

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
"The Wall", part 2

The concrete work is done!!!! Woohoo!

Wall071410lr.jpg

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
It's replacing an old railroad tie retaining wall. Had a post here, but apparently posts only stick around for a month once inactive.

Here are the "Before" and "during" photos:
WALL051010lr.jpg

WALL102809.jpg

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
Looking good. Love the awning over the door.

Are you going to fill the area in and flaten it out? Cement or grass?

You plan on making a ramp of some sort to connect to the existing deck?

I love home projects, just wish I had the cash to start one. I need new flooring and a yard over haul stat.

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
Looking good. Love the awning over the door.

Are you going to fill the area in and flaten it out? Cement or grass?

You plan on making a ramp of some sort to connect to the existing deck?

I love home projects, just wish I had the cash to start one. I need new flooring and a yard over haul stat.

Planning to fill it in and use it next spring for a nice vegetable garden.

Gonna make a deck extension/walkway from the existing deck to the back door, and add a bump out for the grill. That'll be the winter 2010 project, I hope - Cash flow, you know...

Awning - I've had Spitfires forever, had an extra hood! Floodlights replaced the headlights, and nightlight bulbs in the markers, plus a trouble light under the hood - Looks great at night! Thanks.

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir - For your quick response and the information.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Not in Georgia it isn't. That.....and Keith thinks he has his own home improvement show that is only televised to his neighbors.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back