Thinking of buying a '11+ GT. Tips?

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
A while back I traded my 05 gt for an 08 bullitt, then trade it for an 09 F150. the f150 is nice but its no mustang. I miss having one so bad. I have been thinking pretty hard about buying a 5.0. Thinking an '11 is in my price range. Ive been out of the loop for a while and don't really know the ins and outs of the 5.0s. What should I look for, and how much should I expect to spend? I found a 2011 gt, leather, auto for $22,900 with 11,000 miles. Thoughts? All other advice is appreciated!

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
I think the tuners "fixed" the #8 issue. I'd love a 5.0, but it needs to be manual. I'm not sure if I'm more afraid of my wife or the MT-82.

Check out brand new ones, some great deals below 30k even with 3.73's and Recaros.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
what is wrong with the number 8 cylinder? Also, Id rather have a 6 speed manual, but everyone says they are crap. Is that true?

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
what is wrong with the number 8 cylinder? Also, Id rather have a 6 speed manual, but everyone says they are crap. Is that true?

Don't be worried about #8 issues or the MT-82. People on here like to blow those issues out of proportion.
Most the people who say MT-82s are crap are simply regurgitating what they read on the internet.

Just go drive both auto and manual and choose what you like best. Looks are all subjective.

Last edited:

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
I really want a standard, and really want an early 5.0. I don't like the updated body style of the newer ones honestly. I wont be putting any power adders on one. I will however do some bolt ons, and drive it like a mustang should be driven.

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
The 11's are fine ... There were tuning issues very early on that have since be rectified ... Buy what ya like and have fun .. A lot of us out there having fun

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
the 8 problem was tune related. ford fixed it in late 12 and for 13-14 model years.

if you buy and 11, just get it tuned asap. 99% of the tuners have figured this issue out and it can be resolved via tune easily. BAMA in fact promised to warranty any 8 issues.

thats a steal of a deal, buy it, tune it and enjoy it!

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I had an '11 around the time all the finger pointing was going on with the #8 issue. As it turned out, it was an aftermarket induced anomaly and not a Ford induced problem. The M82 is somewhat in the same boat but, as with anything else, you get a bad one every so often.

I never had a problem with my '11 GT and only traded it because it didn't really have the options I wanted and I couldn't justify doing mods on an already good suspension. The new one is missing a option I liked and that is the Brembo's. I'll be taking care of that situation soon enough though.:beer:

The bottom line has already been suggested so I will only add one more thing. Make sure you know the maintenance and mod history of anything you look at before you decide, if they can't provide you with this info, walk.

mattadams6552

forum member
Reaction score
i bought a 2011 Gt premium 6speed with 3500 miles at the end of june this year for $23900. I love it. I sorta wished i got an auto after hearing all the mt82 problems, but so far i havent had any trouble out of the my car. I really dont like how reverse is in the car, and how notchy shifting is, but from what ive read the barton shifter and bracket will take care of most of the problem. Its a blast to drive!!

CMK720

forum member
Reaction score
I was hesitant on buying my '11 used about a year ago because of the apparent #8 and MT82.

But I pulled the trigger and never had one problem with it so far. It was well worth it!

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I hate all of you who are saying you got, or can get, low mileage '11's for 22/23K. EVERYTHING in my area that had less than 30K miles was more than 24K, even base automatics. I know it's been a few months, but in May when I bought mine I was looking hard for something in the 22/23 range and couldn't find shit. Guys in other markets have been paying for new 13's what I paid for my CS. Now that I've already put a few grand into it I get kinda queasy when I think about it, lol.

If you like that car and it was taken care of for those 11K miles, GET IT. Drive the auto and the manual before you rule either out.

Last edited:

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Going tomorrow to look at the 2011 gt. Got my f-150 looking like a million bucks and ready to possibly trade I get the figure how I want em. Anything else I need to check while I test drive it?

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, and also, a stupid question. Im clueless when if comes to autos. My last ones were standard. How do you auto guys drive em? Put em in drive and go, or manual shift? I dont mean everyday driving, I mean lead foot down all out take off. Sounds dumb, but Ive never had an auto with any power to where id have to manually shift haha

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back