Time for clutch? Your opinion appreciated.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Went for a drive tonight to the local car show. Only drove a total of about 5 miles. Noticed slight clutch chatter when pulling from a stop. I also notice a slight vibration in the shifter. Time for a new clutch or anyone think its something more serious?

Stock clutch with about 4800 miles and approximately 20 passes with the roush tvs and et streets.

Whats a good replacement? Not looking at the expensive twin disc.

Last edited:

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Dude I'm going to tell you to use the search button before some else does. By searching you'll most likely find Mcleod RXT, SPEC, Exedy and RAM just to name a few. You'll get different opinions on any forum and never a straight answer.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
I'll look into the boss clutch. What are some aftermarket good street strip clutches that anyone has experience with.

Juiced 66

forum member
Reaction score
Fwiw.. I have had good luck with ram clutches on other mustangs in the past, but never had any experience with the new 5.0 stuff.

5PointOHNO

forum member
Reaction score
Hrmmmm, I may be in the same boat as you in the near future. Things are great so far, perhaps my saving grace is the centri blower. Less torque and a steady increase of HP vs the instant delivery of a TVS. Time will tell I guess.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for suggestions then use the search

If you are trying to diagnosis the clutch being good or bad, we need more info.

Is it slipping in gear under load? does it smell?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Exedy Mach 600 stage 4, will set you back about $600

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
We have had nothing but good luck with the McLeod Series of clutches.

The RXT and RST are soild preformers that will handle just about anything you throw to them. I cant give you much input on the single discs in a 2011 just because we have not used any. We had a long streak of bad luck with various clutches, now that we have one working its hard to stray away. We install on average 150-200 clutches a year.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
We have had nothing but good luck with the McLeod Series of clutches.

The RXT and RST are soild preformers that will handle just about anything you throw to them. I cant give you much input on the single discs in a 2011 just because we have not used any. We had a long streak of bad luck with various clutches, now that we have one working its hard to stray away. We install on average 150-200 clutches a year.

where everyone would recommend the RXT... he did say "not interested in the expensive twin disc"

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
where everyone would recommend the RXT... he did say "not interested in the expensive twin disc"

Well i am giving our opinion being that we install more clutches in one year then most people install in a life time. Here is my take, you might find a few people belive spec is the way to go, and others will swear by RAM, We choose to use Mcleod on anything newer then 2005. If you want to know why you can shoot me a PM. All im doing is giving you some input on what was worked great for us, Less transmission faliures, longer life and more holding power. If you a completley against it, then thats fine.

carry on
:beer:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Well i am giving our opinion being that we install more clutches in one year then most people install in a life time. Here is my take, you might find a few people belive spec is the way to go, and others will swear by RAM, We choose to use Mcleod on anything newer then 2005. If you want to know why you can shoot me a PM. All im doing is giving you some input on what was worked great for us, Less transmission faliures, longer life and more holding power. If you a completley against it, then thats fine.

carry on
:beer:

dont get me wrong, you cant go wrong with the RXT but it does have a lofty price tag

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
another vote for the RXT. I'm using it with a stock flywheel which saved me some money, and just had the chance to review the "overhang" (which is significant, btw), however I saw nothing in my review that looked like a problem.

I have 8k on mine and couldn't be happier. (well, maybe if the release was a bit more low).

JGrein05

Regular
Reaction score
Exedy Mach 600 stage 4, will set you back about $600

That’s what I just put on my car with the lightened steal flywheel. I really like how it shifts compared to stock, way smoother and a little more grabby with a slightly stiffer pedal than stock. I also replaced the clutch line.
And also I have a whipple on my car just for a FYI

I have pictures on my phone that compare the stock to the exedy 600 if you PM me your number.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
when doing the clutch swap is there anything else that should be swapped as well? i know ive seen upgraded hydraulic fluid lines and what not.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
If you are looking for suggestions then use the search

If you are trying to diagnosis the clutch being good or bad, we need more info.

Is it slipping in gear under load? does it smell?

Im looking for both really. As far as slipping, none that i noticed. No smell either. Last time at the track it launched hard and no slipping. Just had the chatter and small vibration on the street.

Thanks to everyone else for their preference.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Iirc isn't there a TSB on FW bolts backing out?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back