Tires too wide?

hastethedav

forum member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I purchased my first set of wheels and tires from American Muscle

http://www.americanmuscle.com/charcoalamr-19x85-0513-nittoinvo-stan.html

And i was told that they would fit my car (they called me to double check the tire size before shipping) and it turns out they dont fit quite as expected.

The wheel sticks out past my fender and whenever i hit a little bump or dip the wheels rub up against my fender.

Heres the fender (clumps of rubber are getting all over the place as well)
img0808dg.jpg

and heres the tire showing where it keeps wearing away at it

img0806xn.jpg

Are there any solutions I have besides having to buy a new set of tires?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, im new to the whole tire and wheel business and thats why i ordered a mounted set in the first place, hoping to avoid issues like this haha.

Any help would be great!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Car lowered?

Only one side rubbing?

Adj panhard bar?

I bet the axle is not centered.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Several things here. Those wheels are 30mm offset and 8.5 inches wide. First American Muscle should not be putting 285's on a 8.5" wide wheel. To make those wheels work on the rear of a lowered S197 you would have to run a 255 tire so they wouldn't stick out and rub. I would ask for a refund as they are selling a combo that's just stupid IMHO.

hastethedav

forum member
Reaction score
It is lowered, both sides are rubbing pretty bad.

I was going to get the allignment done this week, but i dont want to if I am going to have to change out the wheels again and have to pay twice

r0ng5

forum member
Reaction score
i rub... ridiculously. but that's the look i'm going for. Good luck!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I was going to get the allignment done this week, but i dont want to if I am going to have to change out the wheels again and have to pay twice

Well then certainly seems as if they are just not the right fitment.

mot250

forum member
Reaction score
Offset must be terribly wrong for an 8 1/2 wheel to cause tire rub. Many run a 9 1/2 or larger wheel/tire combo in the rear without any issues.

hastethedav

forum member
Reaction score
man, this is why I never switched out from stock wheels on my past 2 cars haha.

Is there somewhere on the wheel I can see what the offset is?

DRock

Reaction score
I would point my fingers at the offset but a 285 on a 8.5 cant really be considered okay by any means....

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
If you look at the link he provided it says they are for 05-13 Mustangs. 30mm offset is too aggressive. To get a 285 not to stick out it would take a 45mm offset wheel. American Muscle should refund his money or give him the proper offset wheel.

WOT

forum member
Reaction score
Several things here. Those wheels are 30mm offset and 8.5 inches wide. First American Muscle should not be putting 285's on a 8.5" wide wheel. To make those wheels work on the rear of a lowered S197 you would have to run a 255 tire so they wouldn't stick out and rub. I would ask for a refund as they are selling a combo that's just stupid IMHO.

+1

You have excessive bulge on the tire that's why they rub. The tires where design to be used on a 9.5 -11" wheel. Those Wheels in that size 8.5" with that offset can only be run with tires that are 255 or smaller without having rubbing issues.
So you either replace tires with 255's or replace the wheels with ones that have a higher offset and a wider width.

Last edited:

DRock

Reaction score
man, this is why I never switched out from stock wheels on my past 2 cars haha.

Is there somewhere on the wheel I can see what the offset is?

It says they are +30 wich is expectable for a 8.5 in wheel.

The offset sould be imprinted in a spoke on the back of the wheel

hastethedav

forum member
Reaction score
well these wheels kinda drained my wallet so new tires are kinda a ways off.

is there anything bad about the rubbing? Or can i make by and just clean the residue off everyday?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Biggest tire for 8.5" is 265/55 with a center fitment reccomendation...i.e. not 1 size bigger or smaller. It is a tall tire at just over 28" I run on a bullitt rim and a 1/2" spacer and have not rubbed yet.

The American Muscle rep is usually pretty sharp....

hastethedav

forum member
Reaction score
Yea the tire did seem very bulgy, I placed the order and they were out of stock, waited a few days and recieved a phone call and they wanted to double check that I wanted that combination, I clarified that it would fit my car and they said it would.

Im going to contact their customer service, would rolling my fenders in the back help at all?

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
well these wheels kinda drained my wallet so new tires are kinda a ways off.

is there anything bad about the rubbing? Or can i make by and just clean the residue off everyday?

From the pictures you posted they are rubbing pretty bad. I wouldn't run them for fear of tearing up the quarter panels on your car. Call AM and make them send you another set of wheels and tires with the correct offset.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back