Too Low,Air or Over Full???

07stalker

Reaction score
Ok, installed my universal 18oz overflow tank. I have read most of the thread on this but I have seen where anyone put the inline fill right before the radiator.
See the picture below. I put a drain on the driver side and made the lower hose a one piece.
The overflow port from the fill is run to a single bottom port on the tank, mounted on the front side of the radiator support. The tank is vented at the top.
I filled the radiator via the new inline fill and the tank about 1/3 full. I heated up the car and the tank filled completely. Once cooled, it empty completely.
Now tonight it acts like it is overheating (steam spewing from the tank) but the temp gauge is perfect. Shit, the fan didn't even kick on!
So: :wtf:
Is my inline fill to low being just before the radaitor, did I overfill and when it stops spewing I'll be good or just a shit load of air in the system?????
Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible!

coolant tank.jpg

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have air in the system still.

Besides that I'm a little confused by your setup you have a pressure relief cap on the upper hose but you kept an expansion tank? Normaly you would delete the tank when doing that.

Where is the upper radiator venthose ran to? Is it ran to the side port on that cap you install on the upper hose?

Last edited:

07stalker

Reaction score
For the most part it is set up like the old school radaitor. (so I tried) The inline fill has a 16lb cap that relieves to the port on the side. That hose is ran to the bottom of the overflow tank. The exspansion and vacuum when cooling appearing to be working. I just can keep fuild in the tank!

The air port on the drivers side of the radiator is plugged with a drain so I can open and try to get more air out if need be.

I just PM'd 1eyewilly as I set this up pretty much like he posted way back.

Do you see a problem with the inline fill being just before the radiator vs up top like everyone else did??

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just some uneccesary parts but other than that it should work. Only problem I see is the vent on the radiator being capped, that is a vent to let air in the system out into the top of the expansion tank while the bottom of the expansion tank lets coolant back in. If you have it capped im 99% sure that is what is causing it to overheat and thats where your trapped air is.

Your fill/reserve tank high level needs to be higher than the top of the radiator and the upper radiator hose to help keep air pockets from foring in the upper hose and the top of the radiator as well.

I personaly wouldn run the radiator vent capped like that.

Last edited:

07stalker

Reaction score
I had a feeling you might say that. In all the post I have read on this, the inline fills are put at the top of the upper radiator hose and the new smaller tanks can be put "anywhere". All the post I have read have these smaller tanks mounted lower, even in the fenderwell but have the inline fill up top. I even read one on here where the guy used his PS tank before moving it to the fendor.

I just had to be different.........

I might just have to throw the stocker back quick by Saturday so I can get my base 1/4 ET on the last weekend of the local strip.

Thanks Man!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you ran the upper rad hose vent small hose to that input on the fill cap in the upper hose that would work too that way the air can get from the top of the radiator to under the cap and out the vented cap. Then you can delete that reserve tank or mount it lower without issue and run a vented cap on that tank too.

Here is some more info on the matter.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78299&highlight=coolant+expansion+tank

07stalker

Reaction score
That might be easier. I read that very thread a couple times. My cap/inline fill is exactly the same as the top of that tank you put the green line on. The port on that inline fill is above the seal on the cap. My tank is vented at the top via a fitting and open ended tube.
So I think the main problem I have is that I have the vent from the radaitor plugged. If I run a hose from the vent to the top of the tank I should be good?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exactly, thats what I would do. But if you do run it to the fill tank the tank fill level has to be higher than the top of the radiator is the only catch. Notice where is tank level is compared to the radiator.

07stalker

Reaction score
Right, so I have to get that tank higher. I should have just went with a single turbo plan.....I moved my relay box and ECU back to the battery location to make the room for the passenger side, front mount turbo. I currently have all kinds of room on that inner fender right now!
Again, had to be different....

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
are you sure your just no overfilling it?

there should be hardly anything in the overflow when the car is cool, it should suck it all back into the engine. if i overfill my overflow tank it will overflow when it gets got as well because it has no where to go.

my radiator vent is capped and welded. its a overflow tank, its not intended to hold water all the time. my hose coming from the radiator cap loops under the frame and then back up to the bottom of the overflow tank.

my radiator cap neck is also the highest point in my system to allow the air to bleed out.

07stalker

Reaction score
Right, I am shooting for the same set up you have. I think I found the main problem. I grabbed another radiator cap on the way home last week, filled the system until water started coming out of the radaitor vent on the drivers side and put the new cap on. With the car off and cold, I squeezed the upper radiator hose before the inline fill and water was going into the overflow!
I spec'd the dept of the inline filler and while the standard radaitor cap is 3/4", the seat was 1/16" deeper. The cap wasn't seating all the way. Jegs is swapping their inline fill with a Moroso piece that I should have on Thusday. I'll update once I get the new piece installed.

Thanks for the Help and I'll keep you posted.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back