tpms wont register

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
ive been prolonging this for months, because it hasnt really bothered me but when i bought my roush wheels earlier this year i also purchased the LRS valve stem mount tpms. i had the wheels mounted at discount tire direct with bare wheels since they sold me the tires. i then came home, and mounted them myself.

i have a tpms tool from american muscle and assumed they were all the same. i couldnt get the tool to read my new sensors (the remote programmed my old TPMS band sensors purchased from american muscle) i pretty much rode the whole season out with a tpms light. i went to the dealer to see if they could program it/get it to read but they couldnt. i also went back to discount tire, and their remote wouldnt register with my tpms either.

i was then under the impression i need either a remote from LRS, or new sensors? i was about to buy something on a black friday special, and saw LRS had this statement written on their tpms page "According to the manufacture, if your new tire pressure sensors do not relearn with the training tool you may have to deflate your tires for a few minutes to wake the new sensors up.
"
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-1177BK/2007-2009-Mustang-Tire-Pressure-Sensor-TPMS-Kit

has anyone experienced this, and had this approach work? how far do i really need to let the tires deflate?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I had a hell of a time reprogramming one time. It turned out to be me and the brake pedal/switch. Looking at the tail light reflection on the garage wall showed that it's easy to push through the switch when the motor is off.

Once it was figured out everything went fine. Are you able to get it into the program mode?

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Strange, yeah I was able to get it in the state of programming. But getting the wheels to register was a no go.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
has anyone experienced this, and had this approach work? how far do i really need to let the tires deflate?

This is true. Many manufactures have this in their sensors that if they stay dormant for to long they go into a "sleep mode" to prolong battery life. The wake up procedure is letting air out of the tires. Below are the instructions that I got for my sensors that came with my wheels from LMR (Late Model Restoration). See step 13.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417311472538.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417311472538.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds fun. I don't have an air tank, and the cars in hibernation till spring I guess I'll be hanging out at the gas station for awhile come spring if it may need to be done multiple times. :whistling:

Mad

Moe
Reaction score
Gents,

I swapped my Bullitt Wheels with the 2011 GT wheels that has been stored for a while , the sensors were already installed on them

After swapping them the tire pressure monitor system gave an error, I’ve done my google thing and found out that we need to train the TPMS sensors using a training tool so I met up with a friend who has the training tool and tried to it but no luck what so ever

Yesterday night, I made sure all the tire PSI was 32 as instructed but again the TPMS didn’t register so I tried to do one more thing…..I deflated one of the tires down to 12 PSI and tried to train it without any luck so I inflated again so 32 and made a move and guess what ….the error was gone for a couple of minutes then it came back so I guess that was a good indicator on what to look for now

Looking at the instructions, step 13 it states (13. If unable to train sensors, the sensors may have returned to sleep mode. If this occurs, you must
deflate your tires, let them sit deflated for 10 minutes, re-inflate, and repeat the procedure)

I went last night to the petrol station, deflated all tires down to 10 PSI and timed 10 minutes..started the car to confirm the error is still there and then inflated the tires again to 32 PSI starting from the first one I deflated and ending with the last one deflated

I put the car in TPMS relearn mode and again nothing , tried all 4 wheels and nothing....I moved the car for 500 meters and tried again and didn't work...drove for 5 KM and tried it again and again no luck

Any ideas ?

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you all are using aftermarket sensors so I can't give any advice with those. For those who are going to buy another wheel set up this is what I advise from my own personal experience. Get the Ford oem. CJ Pony parts has a sale on them every so often. I Swap my Factory and Forgestar setup every 6 months. I've have never had an error and have never had to use the tool.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
I have had similar problems with non-Ford tpms sensors. The sensors just wouldn't train no matter what I did. This is why I only buy the ford ones now, usually you can get the 07-09 style for around $75-80 used in working condition on eBay, and the 2010+ style usually for about $50

Mad

Moe
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you all are using aftermarket sensors so I can't give any advice with those. For those who are going to buy another wheel set up this is what I advise from my own personal experience. Get the Ford oem. CJ Pony parts has a sale on them every so often. I Swap my Factory and Forgestar setup every 6 months. I've have never had an error and have never had to use the tool.

The set of rims I got are the OEM rims of a 2011 GT and I think the sensors are the factory ones

Now some guys in the Dubai forum are saying that 10+ sensors wont work on 05-09 Mustangs...how true is that ?

Attachments

• IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 6

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Interested, I never knew about the 'sleep mode' - After I finished my build, we tried everything to get two of them to train but they ended up just dead/not working.

For OEM sensors, just buy them off eBay - I've paid cost on mine through Ford and it's still stupid expensive.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mad

Moe
Reaction score
A guy is buying my old rims on Sunday , I'll talk to him and give him a discount and take the old sensors off them unless someone here has another solution for the existing sensors that I have

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back