TPS Brake Upgrade Kits-Free Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to get to the bottom of this as this is very odd... we sell alot of dimpled slotted rotors for the Corvettes and haven't had any issues with the noise people are referring to. Are both of you running dimpled/ slotted?
Mike, Mine are the dimpled/slotted rotors. They work great but make that weird noise.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Mine is only making the noise in the rear. My fronts are rather quiet. I will pull the rear wheels tonight and run it on stands and post up a video. I have done this once is how I found out for sure it was the rear brakes. But I didn't spend enough time to research any further. I had other things on my mind at the time. Get back with ya later tonight.

Sent from iPhone

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Mike, heres a couple of videos. Its kind of hard to hear, as I was by myself so it was hard to keep the engine speed right to optimize the noise. I cant see anything moving at all, it all looks smooth.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Mike,

I did that (exactly) as soon as I put them on when originally purchased. I also did it again when I swapped sides with the rotors/pads when David & I discussed and I realized I had them on the wrong sides.

I have thought about smoothing the edges of the dimples a little with Emory cloth but wanted your input first.

Kyle

Sent from iPhone

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Mikes a nice guy and I'm not knocking him in anyway, just reporting what's been done so far and the results.

Thanks again Mike and I'm sure we'll get this resolved soon. :thumb2:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended up getting lift time last night over my buddies.

- Put her in the air and drove her on the lift (do not try this at home we're what you call, professionals kids) and was easily able to reproduce the ticking sound. Figured it had to be the rears. So per Mike's suggestion we swapped out the Hawk pads with the OEM's we took off. Put her back together and drove her on the lift again.. Ticking was still there.

- Then Mike suggested it was the rotors. So we put the rear back to 100% stock. Ticking was gone! ...figured it has a bad batch of rotors and that was that.

- drove home and the ticking is still there.. only thing left is the front rotors. I'm not taking the Brembo's back off and putting the stock crap back on to test that.. so called Mike as I was gettting ready to head home. I believe he's going to send me a different set / brand of rotors, but I'm waiting on a call from him this morning.

tpsmak

forum member
Reaction score
Jason/ Kyle

I understand you have probably done this bedding procedure already but am asking you to do it again to see if we can fix the issue for you. After thinking about the information Jason gave me last night I really think the edges not being smoothed out is the issue. Another thing I thought would probably help is to take steel wool or sand paper and sand the edges around the slot and wholes to smooth out the edges to make sure they are 100% smooth. For Mustang rotors there is no left or right side and they are the same for both sides... you telling me the noise is coming only from one wrong makes me believe the edges not being smooth may be the issue,

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Mike mine are directional. There is a right and a left (not marked). It may not make any difference and I really can't see how it would, but they are mirror images, not exactly the same. If not the slots would be slanted to the front on one side and the rear on the other.

I have not been able to find where my fronts are making any noise however I believe what Jason is saying.

That's what I saying about trying to smooth out the edges a little with the sand paper or Emory cloth. But I didn't want to do any thing that may prevent TPS from standing behind the product if we can't get to the bottom of this.

And by no means Mike am I trying to bash on you. You/your company is a great vendor and great to do business with. And I can see that you will do what you have to to solve this problem.

After church tonight I will try the sandpaper to see if it gets better. It just seems to me that it would be showing uneven wear on the rotors like lines or something or grooves in the pads. Mine are very smooth.

Sent from iPhone

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
On my lunch today: Went to my buddies with the lift and sanded the dimples & slots on the Fronts (only ones left on the car). Redid the bedding procedure again on my way home and then let sit for 20-30 minutes while I ate lunch and took a quick shower. The ticking is still there.

tpsmak

forum member
Reaction score
Mike mine are directional. There is a right and a left (not marked). It may not make any difference and I really can't see how it would, but they are mirror images, not exactly the same. If not the slots would be slanted to the front on one side and the rear on the other.

I have not been able to find where my fronts are making any noise however I believe what Jason is saying.

That's what I saying about trying to smooth out the edges a little with the sand paper or Emory cloth. But I didn't want to do any thing that may prevent TPS from standing behind the product if we can't get to the bottom of this.

And by no means Mike am I trying to bash on you. You/your company is a great vendor and great to do business with. And I can see that you will do what you have to to solve this problem.

After church tonight I will try the sandpaper to see if it gets better. It just seems to me that it would be showing uneven wear on the rotors like lines or something or grooves in the pads. Mine are very smooth.

Sent from iPhone

How the slants are pointed is not really relevant... what is relevant is how the cooling vanes point... take a look at this picture and you will understand the correct way to install them.

rotor_types_450.jpg

On my lunch today: Went to my buddies with the lift and sanded the dimples & slots on the Fronts (only ones left on the car). Redid the bedding procedure again on my way home and then let sit for 20-30 minutes while I ate lunch and took a quick shower. The ticking is still there.

Can you take a look at your rotors and see if they have directional cooling vanes. Normally our Mustang rotors do not have directional cooling vanes BUT if my supplier upgraded them for me then they would have to be installed correctly or they WILL make a hissing sound.

Either way.. we're here to take care of any issues customers may have with our products. :thumb2:

tpsmak

forum member
Reaction score
Alright... so I called up several customers who have had the EXACT setups as Kyle and Jason and they all experienced some noise in the beginning but after the brakes were fully broken around 5-600 miles they were very quite.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Alright... so I called up several customers who have had the EXACT setups as Kyle and Jason and they all experienced some noise in the beginning but after the brakes were fully broken around 5-600 miles they were very quite.

Mike, I am pretty sure mine are the same as Jason's. It seems like I looked at the vanes before I installed them and they were straight. I work about 50 miles from home so it'll be later this evening before I can look at mine.

As I said in my PM, it really makes perfect since that these would have a break in period and I will let you know as soon as I get passed 600 miles or so, or they get quiet, which ever comes first. LOL!

Again Mike, Thanks for your diligence in this matter. It has been a pleasure dealing with you and TPS. While I'm thinking about it, I may owe you an itrader rating. I'll take care of this for you, I totally forgot.

Thanks,
Kyle

tpsmak

forum member
Reaction score
Mike, I am pretty sure mine are the same as Jason's. It seems like I looked at the vanes before I installed them and they were straight. I work about 50 miles from home so it'll be later this evening before I can look at mine.

As I said in my PM, it really makes perfect since that these would have a break in period and I will let you know as soon as I get passed 600 miles or so, or they get quiet, which ever comes first. LOL!

Again Mike, Thanks for your diligence in this matter. It has been a pleasure dealing with you and TPS. While I'm thinking about it, I may owe you an itrader rating. I'll take care of this for you, I totally forgot.

Thanks,
Kyle

no problem Kyle :)

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Mike,

I just want to tell you that I think I may have done you disservice by posting my question in this thread. I should have PM'd you or called you or even started a thread specifically about my concern rather than posting in your sale thread. I hope that this did not cost you any sales for this product or any other product(s) that TPS offers. You have been a stand up guy through out my dealings with you and I feel confident we have that our conclusion is correct. I thank you again for your great customer service and apologize.

Kyle

Oh potential buyers these are great products and look killer.

Sent from iPhone

tpsmak

forum member
Reaction score
Kyle,

Don't worry about it... it's all good :)

BTW, the best way to reach me is to just pick up a phone and call :) Some times I'm away from my desk and may not be able to respond if you just a question in a thread. OR just send me a email and I can respond from my iPhone :)

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
No chance of blanks? i have never been a fan of either cross drilled or slotted.

tpsmak

forum member
Reaction score
No chance of blanks? i have never been a fan of either cross drilled or slotted.

If you want blanks we can supply the kit with blanks... you would be the 1st customer EVER who ordered our kit with blanks :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back