Info when replacing Saleen (StopTech) 14" front brakes

RareMustang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd share some information that might be useful for anyone seeking more details on the 14" StopTech Aero brake upgrade kit that came on the Saleen Heritage, Dan Gurney Edition and (I think) Parnelli Jones models -- as I just had to replace the brakes on our Dan Gurney and Saleen quoted $1800 for front rotors/pads:
  • StopTech manufactured the ST-40 14" front brake system for Saleen (caliper, pads, rotors)
  • StopTech has been acquired by Centric and the original one-piece rotors have been discontinued (part numbers 30.330.1113 and 30.330.1114)
  • StopTech upgraded the Aero 14" rotors with 2-piece units (part numbers 129.61089.14 and 129.61089.13)
  • While upgraded Aero rotors are 8 pounds lighter and technically superior, they also come at a significantly higher cost of $600/rotor versus $150/rotor for the original one-piece units
  • For now, the original one-piece slotted 355x32 rotors can still be found on eBay and NOS in both StopTech and Centric packaging (depending on the production date)
  • As it relates to brake pads, the StopTech brake pads (part number 309.06090) can be found on eBay and other sources for approximately $125 for the front set. If you try to replace the StopTech pads with Hawk or another manufacturer, you must ensure the FMSI numbers match (D372). You will often see these ST-40 pads also advertised as replacements for various 1990's model Porsche cars (944, 968, 911, etc.)
The one-piece rotors have an etched specification on the flat rotor edge that says they should be replaced once they reach 30mm thickness -- which is surprising as they are only 32mm thick when new.

I hope this helps the handful of other owners of rare Saleen Mustangs make an educated decision as to which brake rotors to buy.

Reactions: OX1

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back