Track Report from PCA event

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Background: 2005 GT with FRP springs, rear sway bar and Tokico D-Specs.
Running Stock 235 Pirelli tires and Stock Brakes with Hawk HPS pads.

For those who don't know the Porsche Club of America hosts open track days everywhere there is a road course and the Cars are everything from Stock 5.0 mustangs and Civics, ranging through M3's, Boxters, 944's and 911s to Ferrari and full Trans AM cars.

This event was no different and carried the full range of cars with the exception of me being the only domestic...kinda weird actually...

I was running the the advanced run group and not with the instructors this event as I have not been on track in a while, didn't have a current instructors certification and was not instructing.

First session the track was wet (which I hate) as it had been raining all night and it was still drizzling a bit. It was wet enough that any car you were behind was obscured by spray...fun....:yuck:

So I was getting a feel for the car and the track taking it easy. The car was was turning in very well and the rear was staying planted with very little over steer, slip, slide or tire spin.

Session two was much better with a dry track and I was able to drive 8/10ths.

This time I could really see what the car would do. Overall I was very impressed and very happy with a stock car. Turn in was still great and the car was pretty neutral with a bit of under steer that I could compensate for by trail braking and throttle steer.. (this is where some extra torque and HP would have been handy)

At this point I was running with a pair of Club prepared 951s (turbo 944s for you non Deutch speaking peeps) and a Club prepared M3

It was a TON of fun!!! :partysmilie:
We were all running back to back right on each others bumpers and several times I was given the passing signal which I waved off as I really don't like any one behind me.. Though they probably wouldn't have been there for long.
Power wise for a stock 05 with a cold air it was a bit faster on the straights than the 951s and the M3 and the torque was definitely and advantage brakes were very lacking, weight was at a disadvantage, and the car really needs bigger tires.. I mean 235s on a freaking #3500 mustang?

At this point I began to notice the brakes fading a bit as I had to work them being in traffic and the weight of the car began to show itself.

The 05 was easily well balanced in the turns and I was able to power out OK but not great. There was only one very tight right hand turn where I'm also under power where the car was showing a weakness and needed more rear spring rate.. (funny thing was on my 97 Cobra it was the front springs that needed it)

I tried to correct this the next session by stiffing up the rear shocks which were nearly full soft and after checking the fronts they were nearly full hard....
I thought that this may have actually made it worse rather than better as there was more tire scrub and actual inner fender contact.. Could be that I was just driving harder that session.. couldn't tell.

But the one thing I noticed this go around was that the Brakes were going away faster and quickly just went away and at the end of the last big straight I had to select Zone 5, and escape!!! going through the grass...

For note: wet grass is slick and you don't stop sliding but Louisiana Gumbo mud stops you faster than a gravel pit!!!! :beer:

So once again the stock brakes suck ASS!!! They were pretty decent and I say DECENT, as in adequate and maybe just barely ok with the Hawk HPS pads but it was my fault for running stock fluid and not bleeding them with the Motul blue in the shop which probably would have helped.

So in summary:
The 05 was everything on the track I expected and I was extremely pleased with the car and have no regrets trading in the Cobra.

Ford has fixed every problem the Fox had.. Stiff chassis, better front geometry, better steering settings, and a positive control of the rear axle.

Weak spots: Teenie, tiny brakes on a heavy ass car (no need to expound on this) but Hawk HPS pads and good fluid would make them ok for most drivers and all you would need on the street..even with stock rotors.
Absolutely no reason to buy drilled and slotted $$$ rotors the stockers are perfectly acceptable and that is not where the issue is. Cooling ducts would resolve a lot of Track related issues and I really don't think that stainless lines would make any noticeable difference.

But the GT still should have had the GT500(or track pack) option for brakes

shitty shifter (hard to find gears sometimes) needs at least bushings

Small tires ( needs a 275) and should have had an 18x9 option

And could definitely use more power and torque along with some weight reduction.

Wes

forum member
Reaction score
Great to go out and watch you race, wish I was still there to see you go offroading lol!

We got our Fox gutted yesterday and began fabbing up seat mountings points so there will be two domestics representing out there shortly!

Wes

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Beautiful write-up! I couldn't agree more with you on most points, but I will argue the brake pad selection... I have run Carbotech XP12/XP10 in the past, and am running Hawk DTC-60/HT-10 now, and even with ducting, I chew through the brake rotors pretty quickly. The Carbo's are a lot friendlier to the rotors, stop great, but don't last that long. The Hawks last forever, are hard on the rotors, and stop great. Since I can get rotors cheaper than pads, my choice is obvious! I would NOT, however, recommend either the HPS or HP+ pads for anything other than autocross. I would steer a student (2nd or 3rd time out at a track) towards the HT-10 at a minimum on the S197 chassis, simply for the weight (and therefore heat) factor.

With the DTC-16, which has a MOT of 1600*, I have burned two sets of rotors (turned them purple, surface-cracked them to the point of destruction, but no diametric cracking) and then finally cooked the pads to the point where they started to disintegrate. This is with ducts, albeit at short tracks, with little brake cooling time (no big straights). I also drive in the "advanced" group, and use the hard/late braking technique to minimize rotor heat, which is also what I teach my students... With the HPS or HP+, when they exceed MOT, they don't simply begin to fade, they just completely go away. HT-10 seems to be a good compromise between a full-race pad and a street (read junk) pad.

I will admit, I about wet myself with your grass/mud comment!

Sounds like you had an absolute blast!

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dam...

give me heads up on this stuff.. would LOVE to give it a try!!

When's the next one?

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Beautiful write-up! I couldn't agree more with you on most points, but I will argue the brake pad selection... I have run Carbotech XP12/XP10 in the past, and am running Hawk DTC-60/HT-10 now, and even with ducting, I chew through the brake rotors pretty quickly.

HT-10 seems to be a good compromise between a full-race pad and a street (read junk) pad.

I will admit, I about wet myself with your grass/mud comment!

Sounds like you had an absolute blast!

Was fun I sooooooo forgot how much it was chasing M3 and Porsches!!!

But the problems were not with the pads over heating but boiling the fluid and not enough heat dissipation..

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Better heat dissipation is one reason I got the GT500 kit. It is not as fancy as some of the other BBKs and the rotors are heavy but so far they have never faded even on short tracks with an SC to help get the speeds up on the short straights. The biggest problem is having to also get 18 inch rims that clear them.

Last edited:

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Better heat dissapation is one reason I got the GT500 kit. It is not as fancy as some of the other BBKs and the rotors are heavy but so far they have never faded even on short tracks with an SC to help get the speeds up on the short straights. The biggest problem is having to also get 18 inch rims that clear them.

I agree 100% that is why I have a set in my shop waiting on some 18" wheels.. For $600.00 take offs that is the best deal on the planet!!!

I'm going to bite the bullet later and get the aluminum hubed rotors as well.

I was ready to buy a set of the 18" razors until I found they were 25#.

I would love to get a set of the front ford GT wheels..

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to bite the bullet later and get the aluminum hubed rotors as well.

Highly recommended, I've seen a few few gt500 brake rotors come apart (hub seperates from disc) in extreme race conditions and cause wrecks.

For the everyday joe or even once in awhile track stars gt500 setups are great..maybe not for the hardcore racers tho.

I ran the stock brake calipers/brake rotor sizing for awhile.. up to 550 hp/r compounds/good suspension...and found the next weak point to be the calipers...once heat problems were fixed/pad compounds were dailed in/

Nice write up btw :)

Last edited:

spiral281

forum member
Reaction score
i am another who would also like to be informed of other such events...i would willingly drive to No Problem for such an event, and in fact have been wondering when they would have such events as i dont understand what events the public is allowed to attend...i autox once in a while and would love to get involved in something a little more suited to our cars...with a little more open design

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time! Always fun chasing and passing "zie germans". Glad to hear the Mustang GT can hold its own out there with minimum upgrades. I've run both the Carbotechs and Hawks - going with the XP12 (front) and XP10 (rear) in a few weeks at VIR. I use the ATE Super Blue/Gold Brake Fluid or Motul RBF 600 (DOT 4) - no more boiling. I'm leaning toward the Wilwood front calipers with 14" rotors since I've been using them on my dedicated track car with great results. I'll send the rear calipers out for black powdercoating to have them match.

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
i am another who would also like to be informed of other such events...i would willingly drive to No Problem for such an event, and in fact have been wondering when they would have such events as i dont understand what events the public is allowed to attend...i autox once in a while and would love to get involved in something a little more suited to our cars...with a little more open design

I'll try and post here when available. There is another DE coming in Nov.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back