Traction Bars & Lower Control Arms

LegendLives

Reaction score
:helpme: I do not have any wheel hop on my stang but am working at getting the tires planted. I am working and researching the tires already so then the next step would be some suspension mods. My question is if I do not have any wheel hop would traction bars be of any benefit or should I just do LCA's? Also if LCA's, should I just put them in the stock location or should I also get the relocation brackets? From what I'm reading looks like the UPR or UMI are the most popular suspension companies. Anything else I might have missed chime in and let me know. I'm a green horn at this Suspension modding stuff.
05' GT, A/T, FRPP 3.73 gears, BBR tune, C&L Racer CAI, FRPP Shortys, FRPP Stinger axle backs.

pitch

Reaction score
I would just go with the UMI LCA's. Quality product, easy install and does quite a bit for the handling. Unless you are lowered you really don't need the relocation brackets. And I've read some comments from Suspension experts that say you don't need the relo brackets even when lowered. I'm not one of the experts, just relaying what I've read.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok--

1) traction bars are for cars with a leaf spring rear suspension.

2) there are many companies that make good LowerControlArms (LCAs) for our S197. The most economical I have seen are J&M non adjustable with poly ends. I used those on my previous S197 where my best 60' time was 1.412. BMR also makes a good set, as well as Steeda and many other companies. If you street drive alot, just get a non-adjustable LCA with poly ends. The solid end models are great for drag racing, but will transmit alot more road noise into the cabin.

3) Relocation brackets are only needed if you are lowered to correct the LCA geometry. If you look under the car, the front of the LCA (which attaches to the frame) needs to be higher off the ground vs the rear of the LCA (which attaches to the rearend axle tube). The LCA should be parallel to the ground if you are into corners.

See below for reference:

WrongLCAAlignment.jpg

LCACorrect.jpg

LCASolution.jpg

LegendLives

Reaction score
Thanks pitch and psfracer... I see what i did, when i was on the UMI site I read Traction Packages and my mind went "Traction Bars" Thanks for correcting me and it makes a little more sense to me now cause I couldn't see the difference in the LCAs, Duh me! I am not lowered and it is mostly street so it looks like I just need the non-adjustable LCA. Would you recommend any thing else? say the Rear Upper Control Arm?
pitch; I am leaning toward the UMI LCA's at this point unless someone gives me a good reason why I shouldn't.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go with a good UCA if your going to get into drag racing the car. Adjustable to if you think you will need to change the pinion angle in the future.

mike castaldo

forum member
Reaction score
i like matco products.. you can pick some up from jpc.. lite weight, very strong, and you can adjust up or down with the use of the braket.. if you chang your lower you must do your upper rear.. or you well get a clunk sound.. the upper one is a need not a want.

pitch

Reaction score

UMI Sales

Official Vendor
Reaction score

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
It looks like the UMI units would hit speed bumps constantly or am I wrong?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It looks like the UMI units would hit speed bumps constantly or am I wrong?
Only if you don't have tires and wheels on the back of your car.

Think about it-they are attached to the same device that your wheels and tires are attached to, if the wheels climb up the bump, what does everything that is attached to that same device do?

Last edited:

mike castaldo

forum member
Reaction score
i hit 1.42 with a set of matcos.. good stuff. man make the right decision..

JPC for all your racing needs..
MCA2005.jpg

The Metco Motorsports high performance lower control arms for the new Mustang are CNC-machined from 6061-T6511 billet aluminum for unsurpassed strength and precision-fit. The control arms are clear-anodized for long-lasting surface protection.
Our control arms are designed to be installed as a direct replacement for the factory control arms, but offer the benefits of the dramatically stronger billet design and a specific combination of Delrin and Energy Suspension-brand bushings. The polyurethane bushings combined with the high-performance Delrin bushings provide unmatched durability while maintaining a ride quality befitting a high performance vehicle. Each bushing has a grease fitting for long term, noise-free service, and the Metco arms require no modifications to the vehicle for installation.
Detailed installation instructions are included.
MIC2005.jpg

alil pricey.. but worth every penny..

AJ

Reaction score
Only if you don't have tires and wheels on the back of your car.

Think about it-they are attached to the same device that your wheels and tires are attached to, if the wheels climb up the bump, what does everything that is attached to that same device do?

your right

im retarded

LegendLives

Reaction score
I'm still looking, reading and researching. I'm not sure which one I will go w/ yet but am definatly going to purchased LCA and UCA.

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
i hit 1.42 with a set of matcos.. good stuff. man make the right decision..

JPC for all your racing needs..
MCA2005.jpg

The Metco Motorsports high performance lower control arms for the new Mustang are CNC-machined from 6061-T6511 billet aluminum for unsurpassed strength and precision-fit. The control arms are clear-anodized for long-lasting surface protection.
Our control arms are designed to be installed as a direct replacement for the factory control arms, but offer the benefits of the dramatically stronger billet design and a specific combination of Delrin and Energy Suspension-brand bushings. The polyurethane bushings combined with the high-performance Delrin bushings provide unmatched durability while maintaining a ride quality befitting a high performance vehicle. Each bushing has a grease fitting for long term, noise-free service, and the Metco arms require no modifications to the vehicle for installation.
Detailed installation instructions are included.
MIC2005.jpg

alil pricey.. but worth every penny..
You mean METCO right........lol! Whats matco lol? But yes Metco stuff is top notch, you wont find a nicer product out there. Ive seen several S197 stang's with over 800 rwhp with them and not a single issue.

Last edited:

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about Metco over the last few days... looks like they are worth the money. So it looks like LCAs and relocation brackets are needed if one's car is lowered, what about a UCA? Should that be non adjustable as well?

UMI Sales

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about Metco over the last few days... looks like they are worth the money. So it looks like LCAs and relocation brackets are needed if one's car is lowered, what about a UCA? Should that be non adjustable as well?

Hello
If you are going to keep it a daily driver and just looking for something more solid you will be fine with non adjustable. But if you are either lowering the vehicle or racing it I would highly recommend going with a adjustable to allow you to fine tune the rear end! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad :D

AJ

Reaction score
not to hijack but what is the diff between the rod style lca and the block style?

UMI Sales

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hello
There is no strength difference in the boxed or tubular! The tubular control arms a lighter in weight. But I believe the Metco's above are aluminum so they would be a little heavier due to being a solid control arm compared to a tubular. If you have any other question feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad :D

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back