Trying to eliminate the gap

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
I am trying to eliminate the rake that our cars suffer from. Some like it I hate it. As it sits now the rear is still 1/2" higher than the front. Also the gap between the rear tire and the fender is shrinking nicely.

picture.php

picture.php

luckyone

Reaction score
I dont think I would go much lower in the back. It looks like you are going to be rubbing the fender with every bump you hit.

looks badass as it sits now though.

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
As it is now it only rubs on extreme dips in the highway.
I am planning on addressing this with a new set of wheels I will be purchasing soon. The rear tire will be a 315/35/18

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
All I have done is Eibach pro springs.
I have cut 1 coil off of the rears.
Now before someone starts to say " oh man you have destroyed the spring rate of the spring" I have NOT noticed any change in ride quality or handling. The car feels 100% the same. I will not go beyond 1 coil because after that I do feel that the spring rate will be affected.
I am planning on relocating the battery to the trunk so that the added weight will pull the rear down more and I am sure it will help with the weight distribution.
Final goal is to have a perfectly level ride height.

Reaction score
It looks really good. But I bet everyone is gonna say that's too small a gap. How much space do you have between your frame and your jounce bumper? (the snub thingie)

On a side note: Are those hyperblack saleen replicas or just really clean black ones? S197 offset or sn95? 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rears? You ever try to see how the 10in wide looks up front?

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
IMHO, I wouldn't lower it any more than you have. Looks great and still functional. Any lower and you will hit the fender - preventing suspension travel and could cause problems. A little rake is a good thing.

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
It looks really good. But I bet everyone is gonna say that's too small a gap. How much space do you have between your frame and your jounce bumper? (the snub thingie)

On a side note: Are those hyperblack saleen replicas or just really clean black ones? S197 offset or sn95? 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rears? You ever try to see how the 10in wide looks up front?

LOL! they are black Saleens. The offset is for the 94-04 mustangs, sizes are staggered (18x9f 18x10r). The 10" wide upfront for 05-10 offset would most likely look like what I have now with the 94-04 18x9 offset wheel. I know some guys are running the 18x10 all around set up.

I will be buying 05-10 offset black Saleen rears 18x 10 with a 315 tire soon.
then I will lower her more with the batt relocation.

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
I have to add that my car (while not a road course car) handles fairly well.
I have owned s2000s and driven a bunch of high end sports car and I have to say that this little S197 holds its own.
I also drove my cousins s197 also lowered with Eibach pros and my car felt more planted, also its steering response was alot better than his.
We both agreed it was the wider placement of the wheels and tires that the 94-04 offset gives.

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
looks great...I think cutting 1 coil off my springs would sit me even...the rake look i got from my stangsuspension series 2 springs is not my style...but the ride quality and spring rates were.

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
I am trying to eliminate the rake that our cars suffer from. Some like it I hate it. As it sits now the rear is still 1/2" higher than the front. Also the gap between the rear tire and the fender is shrinking nicely.

picture.php

picture.php

You need wheels that fit inside the wheel wells. You cut a coil off the rear springs? Which end, the close coils or the wider coils? You have no dampers? Live and learn, but I expect it is going to take you longer than average.

Good luck!

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
You need wheels that fit inside the wheel wells. You cut a coil off the rear springs? Which end, the close coils or the wider coils? You have no dampers? Live and learn, but I expect it is going to take you longer than average.

Good luck!

Live and learn, but I expect it is going to take you longer than average? What are you insinuating? Do us a favor and post a pic of your 4x4.

I do not understand what the big deal is about removing a coil from a set of springs? It does nothing. Chip Foose has cut springs along with a bunch of other custom Hot Rod designers. I know a bunch of guys who have done it and continue to do so.
Listen if you start cutting a bunch of coils yes you will destroy the springs rate.
Apparently I also need to find wheels that fit under my car. Hey I along with many others like the wider stance. But don't worry I will change out my rear wheels soon to a custom widened wheel with a 315/35/18 tire. I will post some pics as soon as I get them so that some dumb ass can say "those tires are too wide and your car is sitting too low"...??? What the hell is jacking up your car and getting thin wheels whats in style now at days?? If so call me old school.

Rodeoflyer

forum member
Reaction score
You post with eloquence and use the expensive words.

I only know 4 letter ones and emoticons......:popcorneat:

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
Live and learn, but I expect it is going to take you longer than average? What are you insinuating? Do us a favor and post a pic of your 4x4.

I'm not insinuating anything, that was a statement of opinion. You want a favor? O.K.

GraveDigger.jpg

I do not understand what the big deal is about removing a coil from a set of springs? It does nothing.

Obviously I know you don't know what the big deal about cutting coils is. Did you cut the spring or not? Like I said which end? If you did obviously you changed something but you have not figured out what. Do you know how a coil spring works?

Chip Foose has cut springs along with a bunch of other custom Hot Rod designers. I know a bunch of guys who have done it and continue to do so.

Last time I checked you were not Chip Foose. I've met Chip Foose a few times and he is way cooler than your are. We spent a few hours together watching the NHRA Winter Nationals at Pomona in one of the then new east-side grand stand suites together a couple of years back. We've also talked at the National Roadster show a few times. He's a nice guy and likes cool designer watches. We talked about watches and the whole tool watch thing along with the paint on some of the cars of course.

Listen if you start cutting a bunch of coils yes you will destroy the springs rate.

Why would I listen to someone who thinks he has to cut off a bunch of coils to change the spring rate? You don't get it, cut the spring and you change the spring rate period. It's pretty simple!

Apparently I also need to find wheels that fit under my car. Hey I along with many others like the wider stance.

Oh, you mean like this? Dude you are so styling, nobody else has that!

redneck_corvette.jpg

But don't worry I will change out my rear wheels soon to a custom widened wheel with a 315/35/18 tire. I will post some pics as soon as I get them so that some dumb ass can say "those tires are too wide and your car is sitting too low"...??? What the hell is jacking up your car and getting thin wheels whats in style now at days?? If so call me old school.

Oh, I'm not worried, I'm terrified to see the results of your so called "design work." But you go head on brother! And please post some nice clear images so I can post them on the Redneck car sites.

Cheers!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back