Tuning question? Locked to ECM code or Strategy?

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't find a tuning sub-forum so I tossed it in here. Maybe someone can help answer my question.

When you have a custom tune file. Is it locked to your cars "Strategy Code" or the "ECM Code" or the VIN or some combination?

Any tuners in here let me know what it would be locked to?

Thanks!

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
Are you a tuner or have tuning software you could look at a tune and see if it has the right ECU code?
Having an issue that might be my tuner fat fingering the ECU code, because his first tune loads and unloads fine, but the other wont load at all, stops at ECU unlock.(error 1009). Tried all the permutations of returning to stock and trying from there, reloading tune etc. Tuner wants me to call SCT, but I'd like to check this first.

Car Tuner kinda like a server, dont wanna put him on blast and get my food spit in ya know?
I am willing to provide the good tune and the one that wont work and my ECU code, whatever is needed, just verifying not trying to pull any crap.

Please and thank you.

Redfire281

Reaction score
I am not a tuner but I do know a couple of things that might help:

1. The PCM Code is the four alpha/numeric code on the label attached to the PCM box. The PCM Code identifies the base computer software.

2. The strategy code is the software/firmware revision number of the PCM Code.

3. There is also an eQuizzer Code that performs a checksum of the PCM code and if it is inconsistent the car goes into a "no start" condition.

4. When a dealer re-flashes the PCM (depending on the latest revisions) it effects any of several control modules within the PCM software - fuel injection, EGR, Transmission control units, etc. - and updates the Strategy Code to the latest revision number.

5. A handheld tuner does not effect the PCM, only specific parameters in the currently loaded strategy. A handheld tuner does not change the Strategy Code number.

Given the above, it seems that if your car is in a "no start" condition then the eQuizzer Code is inconsistent with the PCM Code. I think this might happen if you changed from say an auto to manual tranny and changed out the PCM box and loaded your modified tuner software.

As for the Strategy Code, that of course can be read via the handheld tuner. Oftentimes, the Tuner/Programmer will ask your for the PCM Code on the box so that he can check that the Strategy Code is in-fact a revision of the base software.

So, if we agree that the handheld tuner updates only certain parameters of the strategy and your Tuner's first tune loads and unloads fine, then there is an issue with the Strategy Code revision of the second tune. If your Tuner simply made a copy of the your first tune and modified that, then I don't see how there should be a problem loading either one. I would start by asking your Tuner this question and move on from there.

Just my .02, I could be wrong.

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
The car starts and runs fine. The base tune file loads and unloads fine and works fine. It wont load the updated file in any case (from stock or from the base).
When it fails to load the updated file, it gives and error 1009 (no files written, it basically stops during the ECU unlock portion) leaving the current tune on there and totally driveable.

That is why I think it got fat fingered.

I will ask about the strategy code and see if he modified it. Thanks!

[the offer still stands too if someone wants to check it before I call him later lol]

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
ECM. I have never seen/heard a tuner ask for a vin # but I have heard them asking for the ecm code.

I have switched tunes with other guys to see which one were the best. Cars had almost the same mods n/a with nothing extensive. Compared 4 tuners...

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The code on the outside of the ECM code converts to a strategy.
Mine is RYA1 which converted to FPAN0U4, I think the SCT device is self might be married to the VIN of the car not sure. As far as I know though the actual tune goes by strategy not vin.

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
Handheld is updated. It is locked to my car. Mine is VGD2 which is FDEE4P6. Just strange that it would load the first one just fine, but not the update, even when trying it from stock.

I'm contacting the tuner today.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I would definitely talk to the tuner he may have just made a typo.
I don't think he will find it offensive.

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
Tuner probably just sent you the wrong one. Most tuners have all the tunes already made and just attach it on the email. Thats exactly why I dont understand why some take 3-5 days to send you the tune when its already made but thats another story.

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
That's my guess. I emailed him both tunes he has sent me so he can check what's different between them.
Whatever the case I'll post up results.
I'm just glad its still driveable and didnt get bricked.

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
Tuner looked at files and said ECU and Strategy are correct, I need to contact SCT, and let him know what they say. Also, that he is here to help & I'm not bothering him.

So we'll see what turns out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back