turbo guys...how are you venting your crank case?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
The air is being pulled thru both cans by the vacuum from the intake manifold.

I want to keep the PCV system , just gotta figure out a way to separate more oil!

Not really sure what you mean...factory outlets on the valve covers are long gone and welded up. I am running the PCV system , just pulling it from the passenger side thru 2 different catch cans to catch as much oil as I can.

I have a inlet on the intake manifold that pulls vacuum thru 2 different catch cans from one port on one valve cover. Then 1 port on each valve cover is just a vent to release pressure when there is no vacuum ( when I'm in boost)

Hold on. So you have no check valve from your manifold to your catch cans to your valve covers? So you are pressurizing the crankcase with manifold pressure while in boost?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Ford 3v mod motors are set up to suck air in the passenger side and blow it out the driver side. I think you would have better results with the catch can on the drivers side. Maybe you have one and I missed it.

Your vacuum readings are exactly what mine are. -18 at idle and -22 during decel.

That may be , only reason I was using the passenger side was to make the hose long enough to wrap around with both cans. Where my bungs are welded, they draw air directly from the timing chain area in the front of the motor.

My setup does not draw any fresh air in and that may be a issue? Bruce, what do you have on your passenger side valve cover?

On a stock setup it pulls air from the intake tube, mine has check valves so they actually close off any air. So it's all sealed up unlike the stock system.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
That may be , only reason I was using the passenger side was to make the hose long enough to wrap around with both cans. Where my bungs are welded, they draw air directly from the timing chain area in the front of the motor.

My setup does not draw any fresh air in and that may be a issue? Bruce, what do you have on your passenger side valve cover?

I have a hose that goes to the air intake. With the paxton I just ran a hose with a breather and tucked it out of sight.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It is sucking in unmetered air?

I suppose it is a little. The volume of air coming in through that little hose is nothing compared to what's coming into the tb imo. If it was a big deal my trims would be unstable. It's going into the crankcase, how much makes it into the combustion chamber through the crankcase? I can't imagine it would be alot.

I gave it alot of thought prior to setting it up like this. In the end my experience has been that the trims are more stable than they are with breathers. I monitor trims all the time.

I've been known to do things differently if it makes sense to me and works.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
If that's the case, I would just need to get rid of my check valves and maybe one hose that go to the breather tank...I think what's happening, because of those check valves, it's closing it off and making it pull more vacuum because its like sucking thru a straw with one end completely closed. If I open up the other side it should decrease the vacuum effect on the crankcase .

How much oil do you collect in your catch can usually?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMG_3955_zps034cb92d.jpg

IMG_3956_zps9fb9fee0.jpg

Last edited:

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I just noticed something on your valve covers. What did you do with the VVT sensors that come through the valve cover?

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I just noticed something on your valve covers. What did you do with the VVT sensors that come through the valve cover?

Are they not all like that?

Keeping on topic of the thread. Im currently running breathers but once i relocate the battery im going to route both sides to a vented catch can.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
That is one cars that dont have VCT anymore. IIRC, you can use a V10 block off plate(might want to search that). I do know that it is nice to leave that stuff on even if you dont have vct anymore. That way ifyou email tune your tuner can still verify cam position.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I was trying to figure out because I'm getting my valve covers ready for the powdercoater. One side I was able to tap a 1/4 npt on the small side but on the larger side I will need to weld a nut on there or a bung in the hole for the 3/8 npt. I'm going to be running -8 vents for the crankcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Solenoids were deleted and plugged/welded. I don't think the solenoids have anything to do with cam position in the tune.

I still have cam sensors.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back