Twin Turbo Placement!!!

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Ok...............I got my motor issue figured out. So I am pretty set on a twin turbo kit now. I have looked a little for the kit I want but to no avail. I have seen and found kits that mount at the rear of the car, and under the hood of course. I want the kit that mounts under the driver, next to the transmission. Am I dumb for thinking it will be better for the car not to have the turbos under the hood? Seems like a lot of heat from two turbos. I want my car to be a lot of things, but most of all I want it to be reliable. I know what a lot of you are thinking," If anyone has the kit or the set up I'm talking about I would love some criticism and or advise on my goals. Thanks

Pike2244

forum member
Reaction score
As long as the car isn't for show DEF. mount them by the Tranny... TOO much heat IMO.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
PM US-1, he is a member here and has dealt with the turbos you are inquiring about...........along with a ton of other stuff as well. lol

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
thanks...yeah not looking for a show car. The only thing I'm worried about is if I bottom out!! I want to make sure there is a brace and or shield for the turbos under there..

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
US-1 sells, runs, builds the ones you are talking about. Give him a shout. Real nice guy.:beer:

Pike2244

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I can understand your concerns!!! I think it's Exile but they make a descent kit but I would probably do a custom setup... Also,the above is correct US-1 helped me w/ questions I had about a build I am doing right now...

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Ok...............I got my motor issue figured out. So I am pretty set on a twin turbo kit now. I have looked a little for the kit I want but to no avail. I have seen and found kits that mount at the rear of the car, and under the hood of course. I want the kit that mounts under the driver, next to the transmission. Am I dumb for thinking it will be better for the car not to have the turbos under the hood? Seems like a lot of heat from two turbos. I want my car to be a lot of things, but most of all I want it to be reliable. I know what a lot of you are thinking," If anyone has the kit or the set up I'm talking about I would love some criticism and or advise on my goals. Thanks

Exile Turbo Systems was the manufacturer of the kit you are describing. I had this system on my stock '07 automatic car with 3.31 gears. With 8 psi on 10 degrees timing the car put down 477 hp/541 tq at the tire. At 3820 lbs we ran 10.878 at 128 mph. Very streetable too. Routinely knocked down 20 mpg in town and 25 on the highway.

I know Exile has not made one of these kits in a while but they do have all the tooling and equipment to produce a kit in about 2-3 weeks. Let me know if you're serious about buying one and I will get you a delivered price from Exile. Below are a few pics of the system on my car.

SDC10004.jpg

turbosetup1.jpg

turbosetup2.jpg

turbosetup4.jpg

Don't look at that air filter in the last pic. Damn photographer stepped on it before the install and Rick didn't have another one.
:rant:

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind w/ twin turbos... piping, intercooler.... all add weight... to the front...

make spring/shock/brake upgrades as well. :beer:

dual a/f meters will be a safe addition...

so... on top of twins, be thinking about 5Kish on upgrade parts... and labor unless DIY

Transmission, clutch, rearend... another 10+....

so, 20K easy on your new project... tuning, working out 'bugs' etc...

Not being 'downer', just being real... no, Im not sorry.

oh, damn...forgot... built shortblock/heads... and exhaust...

30-40K( at least; that would mean everything would line up and work the first time! LOL ) and a year or so and you'll be running hard... or 100K to get you going by April...

If you have that free cash, go pick up a 997TT, tune... call it a day ;)

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
What was the clearance like???
Fine. No part of the system was lower than the factory frame rail. Hell...my deep transmission pan was lower than the turbo system.

Also what size are the turbos???
Twin 53mm Garretts. GT2871-R dual ball bearing, water & oil cooled.

Keep in mind w/ twin turbos... piping, intercooler.... all add weight... to the front...
Heaviest thing was the intercooler behind the bumper. Everything else was very close to the centerline of the car....behind the firewall.

chad05gt said:
make spring/shock/brake upgrades as well.
Bullshit. Mine was dead stock and drove/rode/stopped just fine.

chad05gt said:
dual a/f meters will be a safe addition...
Again...bullshit. I never had an a/f meter on mine. Tune was the key to it being safe. We maintained 11.5:1 all the way up to 6000 rpm where it creeped to 11.8:1. No problem.

chad again said:
so... on top of twins, be thinking about 5Kish on upgrade parts... and labor unless DIY
Horseshit. Add a $700 GT500 fuel pump setup and you're fine up to 750 hp. Installation is easy with this thing. Simple weekend work by anyone with moderate skill. If not, a shop could do it in 10 hours.

yeah...guess who said:
Transmission, clutch, rearend... another 10+....
Again...bullshit, Chad. Only aftermarket upgrade I had was the converter and deep transmission pan. Hell...the stock rear end is still in the car and the cover has NEVER been off the damn thing. As far as exhaust....I had the stock cat back on the car with stock mufflers.

lostinspaceboy said:
so, 20K easy on your new project... tuning, working out 'bugs' etc...
You're so far out in left field with this bullshit it would be an insult to left-fielders.

Captain IdontknowwhatImtalkingabout said:
Not being 'downer', just being real... no, Im not sorry.
No..not sorry. You just don't have a clue what you're talking about, Chad.

why bother...you know who it is said:
oh, damn...forgot... built shortblock/heads... and exhaust...
Stock shortblock lived through quite a bit of shit. Had that idiot kid of mine not gone joy-riding without me knowing it I'm sure the original engine would still be in the car. As long as you keep things realistic and well-maintained the stock engine will live just fine at 8-10 psi.

WTF? said:
30-40K( at least; that would mean everything would line up and work the first time! LOL ) and a year or so and you'll be running hard... or 100K to get you going by April...
Chad....I don't know where you got this latest batch of bullshit but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Just because you think you have to throw tons of cash at a turbo setup to make it work doesn't mean it's the right way to do it. For less than $9000 you can have a killer set of twins, good fuel supply, and a 10-second Mustang GT with great street manners.

I'll sum it up for you like this: Stock Mustang GT + Exile Twin Turbo System + GT500 fuel pump = 10-second street car with perfect manners. Where's the confusion?

Last edited:

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
for reliability and longevity, i recomend oil cooled journal bearing turbos. you can go with liquid cooled but thats more lines to run, i prefer hournal bearing.

theres a reason those types are supplied on oem turbo cars (and its not to keep cost down)

and to that other guy with all his numbers, way off dude, way off, you dont need dual widebands, 1 will suit you and not needed unless you do your own tuning

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
LMAO I hunt SD's posts down for this shit. Is it possible to subscribe to a forum member? LOL!

I call bullshit on SD's estimated MPG though. Nobody around here is going to get 20mpg with that setup on their 'stang. I can't think of anybody that could keep their foot out of it long enough to maintain economy lol!

I'm still considering axing my LT's and going this route... it's siiick.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
You get to a point where you don't have to put your foot in it to prove anything. :roflmao:

Once you trash the GT500s and Z06 Corvettes people tend to give you a wide berth. :evil: With the emergence of the 5.0 Mustang you will finally have someone who will give you a good run for your money. Prior to these new engines.....it took a KB-blown Cobra with nitrous to run with the car. Shelby, Roush, Saleen, Z06, LS-anything, even Fox body coupes with big pushrod engines..........no problem.

Pike2244

forum member
Reaction score
Man I almost fell out of the chair laughing at those ASTRONOMICAL numbers!!!! How do you go from wanting twins on a GT to a 997TT???? HOLY SHIT that was ridiculous.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
after listening to SD's propiganda over the years.........i really want to do a set of twins in the same location.

here is why.......

after owning a turbo car with the turbo way up front, i cant tell you how many times i have gone under the car looking for leaks, checking for leaks and worried about leaks and just giving a fuk about leaks in general,lol.......all that piping creates restrictions. with 2 turbos 1 foot off the manifolds, you have NOTHING to worry about. AND no restrictions, no issues with pipes running under the car, no issues with downpipes......nothing!! Not to mention spool time should increase ALOT.

If i can afford it, i will be giving up my single in the middle of next year some times and going twins!

I can fab everything my self, only thing im not sure of is the oil pump and what pump comes with that kit, thats the only thing that concerns me with the turbos being that low.........SD have some input on that for me?

BTW.....very impressive quoting!! "Captain IdontknowwhatImtalkingabout" new member?

Last edited:

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
Fine. No part of the system was lower than the factory frame rail. Hell...my deep transmission pan was lower than the turbo system.

I understand what you are saying, but do you have an idea on the actual clearance in cm at the turbos?

Thanks.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back