underhood insulation

281express

forum member
Reaction score
has anyone removed their underhood insulation? i want to remove it since ive seen that GT500s dont have one. my brothers p71 doesnt have one and he said it reduces heat but takes longer for the engine to warm up...any opinions?

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
has anyone removed their underhood insulation? i want to remove it since ive seen that GT500s dont have one. my brothers p71 doesnt have one and he said it reduces heat but takes longer for the engine to warm up...any opinions?

odd first post but a good question none the less.

i thought the underhood insulation was more for sound proofing or some thing like that i dont know why you would want extra head in your bay but i dont think it would do much of any thing IMO

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've had mine off for a while now. When you take it off, be carefull with the little christmas tree push type fasteners. I broke a couple and the the little pieces are still in between the layers of the hood. You can hear them everytime you open the hood and I can't figure out how to get 'em out.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had mine off for about a year now. With my exhaust and the s/c, nothing but 200lbs of Dynamat is going to insulate the noise.

SP_51-F1

Reaction score
I've had mine off all summer with no ill effects. It has been 100+ about 60 days so far this year, so I figured it could only help keep things cooler under there. I think I'll leave it off during the winter too. I can't remember the last time I was worried about the engine not warming up enough after a few minutes of idling. I'm not sure where you are at, but that is the only down side I can think of.

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
I've always heard that it was a fire mat to help extinguish fires in the engine bay. I don't know if there's any truth in that.

If the GT500 doesn't have it, I would work on the assumption that it's okay to come out. How heavy is it?

GQ4Life

forum member
Reaction score
there quite a few cars that dont have it stock.. my other car didn't have any from factory.. i'm sure its fine..

281express

forum member
Reaction score
well im in socal i havnt quite taken it off (yet) im planning to but i wouldnt know how heavy it is, but id guess its not that heavy i just want to remove it so i could run the engine cooler, my brothers interceptor doesnt have one and the police cars around here dont have one so yeah.

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score

Unless you're speaking of the Shelby KR or Super Snake, but the GT500 does have the insulation under the hood.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
you can remove it but it will leave a unpainted spot in the middle of the underside, they dont fully paint the underside,just the edges . the insulation covers it up.

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
I believe the insulation is a good 1-2 if I remember correctly. EDIT: It's <2lb...

It's actually a fire-blanket that is designed to fall apart and smolder an engine-bay fire when the temperatures become hot enough, or so I've been informed.

I took mine off and really didn't notice too much of a difference for warm-up or heat exchange...

Last edited:

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
It's not 5lbs.

Mine is paper thin and I had to remove part of it to change out the winshield squirters. The change in my ashtray weighs more than the insulation.

07 Boss

Reaction score
It's not 5lbs.

Mine is paper thin and I had to remove part of it to change out the winshield squirters. The change in my ashtray weighs more than the insulation.

You have an ashtray? I missed that option.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
You have an ashtray? I missed that option.

hummm. that a good question.. why dont we? most mustang owners drink and smoke :thumb2: Thats why they gave us the 12oz beer can holder along with the 40oz slitz holder.. ahha

tyler_2118

forum member
Reaction score
They took mine off when they installed the s/c so it wouldn't rub and I haven't noticed a difference.

Loosehorse

Reaction score
No insulation

I purchased a new Cervini Cowl hood for my 07 GT and it does not have any insulation. I do not see a need for it.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
hummm. that a good question.. why dont we? most mustang owners drink and smoke :thumb2: Thats why they gave us the 12oz beer can holder along with the 40oz slitz holder.. ahha

that's why the smaller piece comes off huh??! and yeah, I got into a roush blackjack a while back and noticed it had the ashtray!! WTF??! I'm always going apeshit for a lighter in my car!!! lol.

OP, I still have mine on, but during the motor swap, I'll proly end up taking it off.. If it is in fact a burn blanket, then it did a shit job when I was at a junkyard I saw a v6 that used to have some weird iron and plastic pieces that somewhat resembled a motor.. I don't think it worked well for them. :idea:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back